Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Taking apart a bow? >

Taking apart a bow?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Taking apart a bow?

Old 04-24-2006, 07:32 PM

Default Taking apart a bow?

I have an old alpine archery bow that I want to take apart but dont have a real bow press. I do have an old portable press. the ones with the rope and 2 steel rods. I havent used it before. Would I be able to use it to take the limbs and the riser apart? are there any other ways to do it? any help is appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-24-2006, 09:56 PM

Default RE: Taking apart a bow?

What you have is ok for strings/cam/idler work but don't think I would use it for removing the limbs from the riser.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:32 AM

my neighbor works with a guy that used a pocket knife. he'll never do that again.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

I used to take all my bows apart without a press, but it was a pain to put back together by myself. I never used a screwdriver, just turned the limb bolts out until the pressure was off. Not sure I would want too with these newer bows as some recommend not to turn the limb bolts out more than a few turns.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Used to be all you needed to take a bow down was just back out the limb bolts. After about 1990, they started putting so much preload on the limbs that they were still under a good deal of tension when you got to the end of the bolts. You pretty much HAVE to use a full out bow press to take down a compound now.

I learned that the hard way, but it only took 5 stitches to close the wound in my forehead. I've cussed and griped about how stupid and dangerous that is, ever since. All they have to do is use longer limb bolts.

One of these days, somebody is gonna get nailed like I did. He'll go find himself a good ol' ambulance chasin' shyster lawyer and sue the crap out of one of the manufacturers. Then we'll be able to completely disassembleour bows with nothing more exotic than a set of allen wrenches, a screwdriver and pair of pliersagain.

Until then, buy a good bow press if you want to do your own work on your bow.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gibblet

my neighbor works with a guy that used a pocket knife. he'll never do that again.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:32 AM

yep rev, he got a brand new string for christmas. so excited he brought the bow into the living room, bent over it, and cut the string off with a pocket knife.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

yep rev, he got a brand new string for christmas. so excited he brought the bow into the living room, bent over it, and cut the string off with a pocket knife.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gibblet

Does he want to buy someinvestments? I have some propertyI can sell him, nice ocean view in Az.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:34 PM

not knowing something is one thing, but a knife??? A little commonsense would go a long way