HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   taking youth, climber? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/201587-taking-youth-climber.html)

Slackdaddy 08-10-2007 02:30 PM

taking youth, climber?

I have allways hunted from climbers (and have 3)
I want to start taking My 8 year old, but it is an area that I have to use climbers. (he will just be watching)

Any advice, anyone ever run 2 climbers up the same tree ?
is 8 to young to be 20' up in a climber ?

Thanks,
Slack

Red Lion 08-10-2007 02:42 PM

RE: taking youth, climber?

If it were me, I would either set-up a ladder stand for my child (as I just would not want to risk my 8 year old being in a climber alone or falling in one) or just not bring my kid with. IMO.

Pparrish 08-10-2007 03:21 PM

That will be solely up to you and your child.
Every child is different.
If your child agrees that he can do it, take him out and practicewith the climber only getting a few feet off the ground. Let him set the pace and height, you hunt according to his comfort.

However, I agree that a ladder stand for the child would be be a better choice. Two man ladder stand will give you complete control of what the child is doing.

timbercruiser 08-10-2007 03:29 PM

Another vote for ladder stand only for the youth. I've climbed with a climber a lot of times and honestly don't feel 100% confident all of the time. 20 feet is along way for a youngster, you don't want to have him in a situation that scares him, possibly setting a bad precedent for many years.

shawneeslinger 08-10-2007 04:44 PM

What about a ground blind? My 4 year old loves it. No way would I put my greatest possession in a climber at that age. Give him a couple more years.

GTOHunter 08-10-2007 07:17 PM

I wouldn't feel right taking a 8 year old 20 feet up a tree in a climber,and the Wife would have me shot if anything happened to him or her! [:@]:(

I would suggest the 2-man ladder stand or even the ladder stands with the bigger seat to accomadate 2 people other wise it would be the Ground Blind because it is safer and conceals any movement or figgiting your Son will probably be doing any ways! LOL ;)
I took my 13 year old Daughter Turkey Hunting and after a few hours she was hungry,she wanted something to drink,she was bored,shewas tired.......the list goes on and on if you know what I mean? At least we were hidden in a ground blind and it covered any wiggling and squirming any youth can dish out and not be seen.

user06 08-10-2007 10:45 PM

I think you could be found criminally negligentif your 8 year old had an accident while using a climber, muchless 20 feet off the ground. Safety should always come first and by your even asking the question tells me you already know the answer. I commend you in wanting to spend the time with your child, something many parents just don't do these days.

Wayspr 08-11-2007 04:56 AM

If you want to take your 8 year old hunting, use a ground blind, two man ladder or a box blind. Letting him use a climber will lead to severe boredom for him at best and major injury or death at worst. Take the time to sit next to him in a setting that you can point things out to him and speak to him.

mnsqueeze 08-11-2007 09:37 AM

i agree with everybody's post ., this is for your 8 year old ., make it good for him., 20 feet up in a climber?? now is not the time.,my 14 year old daughter wanted to try the climber last year ., so we went to a tree in the back yard i got her ready to go up . she went up about 5 to 8 feet , went up OK., coming down was a different story(she couldn't do it .)i had to get a ladder and help her down,.good luck for you and your 8yearold this year and be safe.,

Rebel Hog 08-11-2007 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: user06

I think you could be found criminally negligentif your 8 year old had an accident while using a climber, muchless 20 feet off the ground.
10-4, good buddy!