Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting the big woods

Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Scouting the big woods

My dad and I are going up to the Chequamegon National Forest in Price County, WI to check out some stand sites. This isn't the agricultural land like I'm used to in central WI, this is the big woods. What do you guys recommend I look for specifically while scouting?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting the big woods

google earth......aweesome scouting tool.....
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look for ridges and or slopes that will funnel the deer. I'm not sure what the natural forage is in that part of the country but I'm sure that once you find it look for routes from it to bedding areas. Sources of water are also important. Good luck and let us know.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recently logged areas will have lots of fresh growth. They'll be hitting those areas. Any oak ridges are worth checking to see if they have acorns. The USFS may have planted some cloveron the logging trails. Any one of those situations or a combination will be a place to start.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting big woods for years here in northern New England.Likehere, thereare no fields or farm land that you may be used to. It can very tough to determine exactly what's going on, even after scouting. Your main focus is to shoot a deer and you must hunt where the deer are. That's very simple to say but in big woods you can literally hunt for days without seeing a deer even though they aretraveling through only a few hundred yards away.

Fortunately I have been hunting the same area for a fewyears and I know these woods pretty well. There are a few things I can point out.

I always remind myself that deer need food, water and security. Finding trails that lead from bedding areas to the feeding area can be difficult because the deer can feed almost anywhere as the food source changes. The woodsmay be so big that the deercanmove little from feeding to bedding.

My main focus would bedropped acorns (white oak if possible). Of course apples are high on a deer's list but that may vary depending on your area. Outside of actually seeing deer in a specific area, I look for droppings. Especially places with new and old droppings. This tells me that the area is and has been used on a regular basis. Trails from here may lead you toareas, where deer will bed down because it offers much needed security. I look for the thickest, nasties, wettest and darkest places in the woods. This usually mean swamps. Deer will hold up here beause they have learned over time that hunters avoid these kind of places.Cuttings from the past few years will attract deer like a magnet with the newgrowth. Old logging road are also used by deer on a regular basis and should beclosely checked out as well.Deer, especially bucks love to bed down about 2/3 up on a ridge where they can see and smell danger. They prefer those sides that offer a southern exposure. As previously mentioned it would be in your best interest to check funnel areas. Also never overlook edges. Deer love edges. Let me repeat, deer love edges. Find those places where thick woods meet broked hardwoods and ckeck for sign.

It can sometimes be discouraging finding deer and deer activity in the big woods. I always remind myself that deer have to be somewhere all the time.

Just remember to keep it fun and Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

I have been hunting big woods for years here in northern New England.Likehere, thereare no fields or farm land that you may be used to. It can very tough to determine exactly what's going on, even after scouting. Your main focus is to shoot a deer and you must hunt where the deer are. That's very simple to say but in big woods you can literally hunt for days without seeing a deer even though they aretraveling through only a few hundred yards away.

Fortunately I have been hunting the same area for a fewyears and I know these woods pretty well. There are a few things I can point out.

I always remind myself that deer need food, water and security. Finding trails that lead from bedding areas to the feeding area can be difficult because the deer can feed almost anywhere as the food source changes. The woodsmay be so big that the deercanmove little from feeding to bedding.

My main focus would bedropped acorns (white oak if possible). Of course apples are high on a deer's list but that may vary depending on your area. Outside of actually seeing deer in a specific area, I look for droppings. Especially places with new and old droppings. This tells me that the area is and has been used on a regular basis. Trails from here may lead you toareas, where deer will bed down because it offers much needed security. I look for the thickest, nasties, wettest and darkest places in the woods. This usually mean swamps. Deer will hold up here beause they have learned over time that hunters avoid these kind of places.Cuttings from the past few years will attract deer like a magnet with the newgrowth. Old logging road are also used by deer on a regular basis and should beclosely checked out as well.Deer, especially bucks love to bed down about 2/3 up on a ridge where they can see and smell danger. They prefer those sides that offer a southern exposure. As previously mentioned it would be in your best interest to check funnel areas. Also never overlook edges. Deer love edges. Let me repeat, deer love edges. Find those places where thick woods meet broked hardwoods and ckeck for sign.

It can sometimes be discouraging finding deer and deer activity in the big woods. I always remind myself that deer have to be somewhere all the time.

Just remember to keep it fun and Good Luck!

I think very much the same as you do. I especially agree with deer liking edges.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Oaks and beechnut stands for food sources, benches and saddles for travel routes (especially during the rut), and water sources. New clearcuts are usually a pretty good bet also. Don't be afraid to put some miles on your soles, sometimes the only way to find the deer.