Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting in the woods or on the edge of the woods/fence row >

Hunting in the woods or on the edge of the woods/fence row

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in the woods or on the edge of the woods/fence row

Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Spike

Default Hunting in the woods or on the edge of the woods/fence row

I have a problem with making myself hunt in the woods during early season. I am the type of person who likes to be able to see long distances and that gives me more of an opportunity to see more wildlife. I hate only being able to see 30 or 40 yardsand it seems as if you are looking at the same thing over and over again. But when i acutally sat down and looked at the big picture, i have had more success hunting deep inside the woods then i have on the field edge. Now when it comes to late season, or just after the rut i have no problem hunting in the woods because you can see farther and sometimes its nice to stay out of the wind. Whats everyones personal preference on this?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Default RE: Hunting in the woods or on the edge of the woods/fence row

Where i hunt i usually set up about 80 to 100 yrds awayfrom the edge of the field.Most of the time it isn't as thick and you can still intercept the deeron there way to the field. Had much success with this including last Saturday too!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both.. But I guess to really think about it most of my stands are between 30 and 80 yds inside the woods... But a few are really back in there..
Old 10-08-2008, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glasses make a big difference. Wouldn't want to hunt without them. You can stare at a patch and see nothing until you look through the glasses and bam, were'd that come from. Shot a deer out from under a buddy last year that way (he totaly deserved it ). He never saw it, till it hit the ground dead.I saw it's head pop up while glassing and I was looking right at the spot most of the time. Took several minutes to get a shot, one he should have taken long before I did.

Get a decent pair of binoculars and use them. You'll see right through that stuff and you'll also see what stuff you can shoot through.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to hunt where the deer are. So, if I've got a spot where they are hitting the fields early enough I'll hunt the edges or hedgerows. Hedgerows can be great because you can see a long ways, but they are usually thick and nasty and provide great cover and the deer travel through them quite a bit in open areas.

On the other hand if the deer aren't hitting fields until after dark or right at dark I'll get further in and try to find a staging area.

I'd rather not be able to see as far and see deer than see for 500 yards and see nothing.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM

Most of my stands are placed inside the woods, the closest one i have to a field is 20yds inside the woods. I have never had much luck hunting a field edge or fence row. Try to pick a spot where several travel routs meet inside the woods to enter a field and set up, this could be 10yds in or 100yds in...the later the season becomes the farther back toward the bedding area you want to move to intercept the deer before light fades. Also bigger bucks are going to wait untill last light to enter a field and hang around where there is some other forage for them to eat inside the woods, acorns ect.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt mainly on my fields. I only own 135 acres. 125 are woods. The property north, south, and west is all beans or corn (not mine). I like hunting my food plots. I don't like going into the woods because I always think I am scaring everything away. I have had great luck with this. Plus, I can see where the deer are entering my plots and I set up a stand by it. It has worked several times.