Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ever cry in the woods? >

Ever cry in the woods?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ever cry in the woods?

Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ever cry in the woods?

I tell ya, when that last few minutes of PA's season dwindled into darkness tonite, I just couldn't take it. I really couldn't stand the fact that that it's over, and I won't be able to do this again till next year.
My landowner and his wife invited me to gun bash this afternoon, and I declined; I just had to hunt. And it was a weird hunt. I only hada doe tag to use, but for some reason I just had to go hunt that Poplar tree that I took that nice 9 point of last friday. It was my first nice buck, ever, and I just had to go sit in that tree one more time. I sat there for 3 hours and replayed that moment in my mind when I first saw him, when I shot, when I shot again, and when he fell. And when darkness settled in, and I knew my season was over, my eyes watered. It finally struck me that I finally killed a potential P&Y book buck, and I didn't want to climb down. After several minutes of overcoming this "sensitive moment", I descended with my viper attached to my feet, somewhat depressed that I won't get to sit on that stand again for a long time. When I hit the ground, I packed her up for the last time this year, picked up my Xtec out of the leaves, gave my favorite tree a hug, and strolled slowly and reluctantly into the moonlight.
When I got back tothe truck, I realized that my landowner wasen't home, and being that I ordered a new Hoyt Trikon, and he already inquired about buying my Xtec from me...........I set the bow on the porch, with a note attached: "It's all yours". I figured if he can let me have all of his 120 acres of woods to myself to hunt, and I killed a P & Y buck in his backyard, I can give up a 2 year old bow to a guy just getting started.

Sigh.....10 1/2 months to go...

Mikey
Old 11-12-2005, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever cry in the woods?

That's an awsome post Mikey ,and I certainly understand your feeling's about this great sport of our's . There's just something about being in the wood's sitting in your stand waiting and anticipating the moment of truth ,some time's it come's and sometime's it just doesn't happen ,unfortunately it was the latter this time ,but you know there's alway's next season to look forward to ,so congrat's on your P&Y buck .
That's also a very noble thing to do with the farmer who let you hunt his property ,your a class act and I wish you all the best for next season.

nubo
Old 11-12-2005, 08:54 PM

Wow.

That was amazingly nice giving him that bow. I'm sure he will always remember you for doing that, and he'll sure have a suprise when he gets home.

Although I havn't hunted I can just imagine how peaceful it is sitting in the woods, Gods county. Just taking in all your surroundings waiting for that big buck and just thinking. Having no worries and just feeling peace. I can't describe how much I cant wait till next year.

Good story.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

wow you deserve a P&Y every season! Very respectable thing to do!!! Congradulations!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:01 PM

That was a real nice thing you did for the land owner. Hope he appreciates it as much as you do being able to hunt his land. I do have one question. Isnt there a late bow season in PA, and why wouldnt you want to hunt that.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:07 PM

Maybe he used his tags? Anyway the PA late season is Dec. 26-Jan. 14.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Mikey, great story and a great jesture. But I also have to ask why dont you go archery in december? I, myself, got shutout in archery this year. All my fault. Need to get out and practice more. Didnt get much time to practice this year as my wife and I had a baby in july. She works second shift so I couldnt practice as much as I wanted. Saw the deer just couldnt make the shot. Hey regular season is a week and half away and if still nothing there is always archery Dec. 26th....
Old 11-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, you did your good deed for the year.

I also just ordered a new Trykon but Im not giving away my Vipetec lol, Im not as nice as you

Is bow season over for the whole year already in PA??? You need to move to MD lol
Old 11-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Real nice my man. It is guys like you that make me proud to be part of our brotherhood. You can't describe it to someone that doesn't do it. Good luck next year.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Incredible post, Mikey! It made me proud to call myself a bowhunter!

Quick Reply: Ever cry in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.