Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

800 yards

Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 800 yards

The effective range for a .308 is about 1000 yds on human sized game. I'm not recommending the shot but 800 yds is well within the capabilities of the .308 in the hands of a marksman with a spotter.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/essentials_030306/index3.html

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn00-e.htm
Old 08-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 800 yards

ORIGINAL: BigTiny

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

Cascade...Funny you posted this, earlier this week on "Best of the West" the guy shot a black bear at 728 yards, dropped him on the spot...I thought, dang, I sure hope no new hunters (or younger) see this and think it's OK for them to shoot at those kinds of ranges....I will say, this guy had his "stuff" together...Custom rifle, scope, ammo, rest..everything....And he can sure shoot...You can even order a video tape and he will teach you how to shoot this was...I view these type shows as 30 minutes commercials...Frankly this guy should be teaching our sniper
units ...He is that good, but he isn't the norm....

I have seen at least 30-40 hunters shoot their deer rifles in the past 4-5 years and its my opinion that the
"average" deer hunter should keep his shots to less than 150 yards....Now, I am comfortable myself and practice to 300 yards...In eastern NC you can easily have shots past that, but, most deer are just a few bounds away from either a swamp or a cutover, that's why I stop at 300....If I lived out west, where you could see the animal run for several hundred yards after the shot, I could see 400, with the right setup and practice....
Keep in mind that guy's rig probably set him back $10K(not counting the custom ammo), and he makes his living doing this, so he gets lots of practice. I would like to see him try to make that shot with an off the rack gun and ammo.
Bob Hart, of Hart rifle barrels puts on a long range clinic each year at our place and brings down those $K+ rifles. They are incredible but out of my pricerange. He has done a lot of accurizing of shelf rifles for guys down here and his seminar and tips will help any hunter be a better shot. A number of guys who've never shot at anything over 200 yds. have busted a milk jug at 1000 yds. It changes your whole outlook on what is considered long range. If I lived out west, I might would have to save up for one of his rifles.Also he does train and build barrels for our snipers.A genuine good guy who just likes to help average hunters get better.