Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are you for or against head and neck shots? >

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are you for or against head and neck shots?

I'm a boiler room kinda guy shot my first mulie in the neck totaled the neck roast . With so much cwd and the advice not to get any brain or spinal fluid or tissue inor on the rest of the meat I would shy away save for a very short shot less than 20 yrds . In that case I might head shoot one not likly to have that option out here . Not on purpose anyway.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 AM

I always aim at the place where teh neck and shoulder meets, and I have yet to wound or miss. They drop immediately in their tracks, --no trailing. Of course with a bow, it is a different story.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Spike

Although I've been target shooting for a few years, I'm fairly new to hunting. My first and only deer (doe) was a neck shot from a little over 85 yards, taken on the advise of an experienced hunter.

He told me that a neck shot would keep it from running off into the woods, and it did. The doe dropped like a rock where she was shot.

Even though at the "moment of truth" I felt some hesitation about killing such a beautiful animal; I had no fear of missing the shot at that distance. If the opportunity presented itself again I would go for the neck shot.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM
8mm
Typical Buck

heart an lungs olny here