HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Are you for or against head and neck shots? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/196781-you-against-head-neck-shots.html)

Dunezilla 07-07-2007 07:59 AM

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Would you do a head or a neck shot with a firearm? I am just wondering what's your feelings are on this subject. I like the heart, lung shot best...but I have taken a number of neck shots as well. All the deer fill rightthere in thier tracks dead.

So is it for you?

kdsberman 07-07-2007 08:04 AM

RE: Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Personally i like the heart/lung area and would never attempt a head or neck shot. Ive heard a story one time where a guy shot a buck in the neck and dropped him. They thought he was dead so they started dragging him out. He only got knocked out by the shot. He woke up and went crazy then ran away. Turned me off of head/neck shots. Im not against them though. If you can accurately shoot the head or neck go for it. Ive heard they are lethal when done right.

ruger357w 07-07-2007 08:28 AM

I would rather have a heart/lung shot, but I've shot them in the neck and it does just as good. I'll take what I can get.

Paul L Mohr 07-07-2007 09:01 AM

Against

Paul

uncle matt 07-07-2007 09:45 AM

I'm aiming at the boiler room given the chance but will do an occasional head shot. However, headshots can be pretty ugly.

Haven't done a nech shot in a long while.

redneck buck hunter 07-07-2007 10:00 AM

I take neck shots everytime if i can. They are quick kills ive never had to track a neck shot and all the meat is good. Just my opinion.

Roadkillwarrior 07-07-2007 10:03 AM

I shoot behind for the lungs or heart because it leaves all the meat untouched. I know alot of people dont use the meat in the neck, but there is alot there and it is good for hamburger. I think it would be a waste of a hunk of meat to try and shoot them there. I have shot them in the neck before and they dropped dead, but I wouldnt try and shoot a deer there unless It was my only shot.

_Dan 07-07-2007 10:10 AM

Totally against head shot. Neck shots only in the right situation. I'll wait and stick them in the boiler room.

sjsfire 07-07-2007 11:23 AM

#1 shot for me is the heart/lung shot. I have taken a few high shoulder shots to drop them right where they stand. Personally I don't take a head or neck shot. If a hunter can do it in complete confidence then to each his own.......It's not my style though.

Champlain Islander 07-07-2007 07:34 PM

I'll take what I can get as long as I am sure I will put the animal down. I have confidance in my ability, judgementand equipment.