Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Neck Shots ?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Neck Shots ?

I have read many posts about hunters preferring "neck shots". I must be missing something. Why would anyone want a neck shot as opposed to ther preferred "double lung" or "vitals" shots? What part of the neck would you hit to kill a deer?

I am not trying to be smart, but rather better understand more about this.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Neck Shots ?

Im not a fan of this because of the greater risk of wounding but people like it cause it doesnt ruinvery muchmeat. The shot is similar to a high back shot....destruction of the spinal cord.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad used the neck shot 98% of the time. He always would shoot then right where the neck joins the body. He never did lose one. I have yet to take one w/that shot but if it was the only shot that presented itself, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

To elaborate on your ?:Most people take them because its a boom-flop deal. Not one of the seemingly hundreds of deer I seen my dad take w/that shot ever moved. They went as far as their nose to the ground. Like it was said before, you don't ruin any meat to speak of that way, but I still think most do it for the lack of tracking they have to do.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you ever watch that video for the Tree Lounge? The woman in that collection of vids always did that shot....crumple.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive never had one get up after a neck shot. As far as the meat thing, Theres less meat on the ribbs than any neck roast. I hate tracking deer.Ill shoot for the head or neck when ever I can. But most shots here are 10-30 yards.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

i would take a neck shot with a rifle or shotgun . I would will a bow if ihad to .I like the idea of no tracking
Old 09-28-2007, 01:55 PM

Many people probably prefer shoulder/lung shots because it's a bigger target and there is more room for error and the neck shot has to be more precise but if you're comfortable with it, go for it. Hit it right where the spine meets the front of it's shoulder.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Me I use to just go for Neck or Head.Eyes started getting Bad,plus I shot one Deer in the Jaw,had to trail it and finish it off.

Plus shoot a rutting Buck in the Neck with a Bow you run the risk of just getting meat,not killing the Deer.

big rockpile

Old 09-28-2007, 04:50 PM

I used neck shots for several years early in my career, when we were using 20 & 12 guage slugs. My experience was that it was an effective shot, that usually put them down on the spot. I do not use it much anymore, unless it is a close straight on situation. Lung/heart is a much larger target, so probably better most of the time.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:55 PM
Dominant Buck

If you have a clear shot the base of the neck where it joins the body puts them down in a heap with a rifle. I go for the boiler works with bow..

Quick Reply: Neck Shots ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.