Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are you for or against head and neck shots? >

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Old 07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are you for or against head and neck shots?

I've shot a number of deer in the head and neck, but under most situations I'll take the shot behind the shoulder.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never attempted a head shot, I have taken a few in the neck. But I prefer taking the heart/lung shot.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like most others here,not my preference.I would never take a head shot,a neck shot only in absolutely the right conditions and only if it was all I had.I want to transverse the chest cavity or a high shoulder shot.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Im against head and neck shots. I will go behind the shoulder everytime...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always taken heart lung shots. Just wait for the right shot or pass.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

I have always taken heart lung shots. Just wait for the right shot or pass.
Same here.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where do you shoot your small game? Head, or chest? Truth is, most guys cant make that head shot on a deer and in the field is nowhere to practice. A jaw shot deer isnt pretty.But ahead shot at 20 yds is alot like shooting him in the lungs at 200Yds. Just because the front sight post is on his head doesnt mean anything.Theres alot to a deers head that isnt going to kill him.You have to shoot for his brain, not his head.And that will result in a quick kill.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well...I shoot squirrels in the head...With deer it depends...If over 75 yards or so and I need to drop, I go for the high shoulder shot...If over 75 and don't care if they run a bit, the lung shot...If within 50 or so and I have a good rest and my scoped .243, I might take a neck or even brain shot...I let the situation dictate each situation...

btw...On a neck shot, don't hold high on the neck, hold where the neck joins the body, when the deer lifts and lowers its head, this area stays stationary...
Old 07-08-2007, 05:37 PM

I was told by a guide on a recent Black Bear hunt that a neck shot with the bear quartering towards you was an instant kill with any rifle- and it was. I just shot one in June with a hand loaded .325 Swift A-Frame 220gr. and she fell hard in her tracks. You just need to make sure the quarter is right so the bullet exits in front of the diafram. That particular shot tainted a lot of meat because the bullet went clean through the neck/ shoulder area, through her chest cavity and then through her belly area, exited and re-entered her hind leg where I recovered the bullet. I would take that shot on any big game, that being said, I would still hit behind the shoulder broadside if given the chance.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Every Doe that I've shot in my Adult hunting days has been at the base of the Neck. But, I've never aimed at the neck of a Doe past 50yds. I must say that it's nice walking up to that Doe in the same spot that you shot her at.

For bucks I always aim for the boiler room.

So I guess that would make me FOR IT.

Quick Reply: Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.