Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are you for or against head and neck shots? >

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM

Default RE: Are you for or against head and neck shots?

I was never taught to take a neck or head shot. Some people swear by them though.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

if im doe huntin im only gonna take a neck shot inless its outside of 65-70 yds....smaller buck an hes real close might crack a neck shot.bigger buck behind the sholder everytime
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Typical Buck

Most of my shots are high shoulder shots. It drops the deer instantly and doesn't damage a lot of meat if you use a good solid bullet.

I shot a doe once in the neck with a 130 Ballistic Tip (.270win) at about 35yds. It wasn't pretty. The bullet hit the bone and it was like it exploded. The only thing holding the neck on the body was a 2'' piece of hide. After that, I didn't try another neck shot.

I've tried heart/lung shots, but don't care for them either. Last year I shot a buck at 35yds square in the heart with a 130gr. Federal Fusion out of my .270win. The deer ran a good 50yds before falling. Here in SC, 50yds in a lot of cases will cost you your deer.

So, there for I like the high shoulder shot. I shot a doe and another buck last year with 150gr. CoreLokts, with a high shoulder shot and neither of them moved a foot. Most of the deer I've shot high in the shoulder have went down with their legs folded under them, just like they laid down to bed and never moved again. Not even their nerves.

However, if you shoot too high, in some cases I have seen. It will break the deer's back, but not kill it. It seems that about three inches or so below the back is the best place.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

1 shot straight through the heart.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally speaking formyself, I have no problem attempting either shot..
I have made these shots time and time again with 100% success rate firstshot success rate..
And I personally have no problem continuing it..
However I have been out with others and have seenTHE worst kills ever made..
NoI definately do not recomemended it for just anyone to do..
And I don't encourage anyone to attempt make it...

Old 07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would never take a head shot. i would attempt a neck shot if the conditions were right and i was confident with my ability within the shot range.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM

When I was home on leave back in the 80's, my old roomate took me out to his place to hunt. I popped a basket 8 point at just under 100 yards with a head shot. At the time I was shooting over 1000 rounds per week at work and the shot was easy. Now I'm older and don't practice nearly that much, so I would never take that shot. Now,I wish I had not taken it then, because it ruined a good phot op.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the situation for me. My dad shot probably 99% of his deer where the neck joins the body. Only lost one and that was because he hit a sapling between him and the deer. I would prefer to take a heart shot but have no reservations of breakin' a deer's neck.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer a boiler room shot, but would take a head / neck shot depending on the situation... Short range, etc.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:44 PM

I see the heart/lung shot the most sensible. I'm not against a head shot, but I find it somewhat disrespectful. I'd have no problem blasting asmall game animal'shead off, but deer and other big game is just differnt. Also, shooting for the head leaves almost no room for error.

Quick Reply: Are you for or against head and neck shots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.