Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

spike bucks

Old 07-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spike bucks

my cousin neal recently harvested amature spike (about 11 inches and 5 1/2 yrs old). im not sure if hes made offspring, but im prepared to take them out. i also shot a 6 pt. last yr about 6 yrs old and 210 lbs. his brow tines were shorter than an inch! but his main beams and T1 tines are enormous. his spread is barely outside each ear. my guess is not genes, i think its because of malnutrition.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you really serious?

Ifit is asmaller deer that has spikes, chances are thatit is a yearling. If it is a larger deer; terrible genetics.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Spike

Go by body size when you see a spike. Last year I shot a cull spike that was bigger than my dads basket-racked seven that he shot the next dy, just to give you an idea.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes, im serious. this spike was a good 190 lbs., and his teeth tremendously worn.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe modern whitetail science has consistently shown us that spikes do NOT need to be "culled". As mentioned by many of the educated sportsman above, the vast majority of spikes are simply yearling bucks and , like ANY yearling buck, they simply should NOT be shot. I have never seen a "mature" spike in my life!
Old 07-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never seen a "mature" spike in my life!
Believe it or not but it sometime does happen even in moose another member of the deer family.. Sometimes because of genes and sometimes because of food. A friend had found a spike drop from a moose a couple of years ago that was clearly from an adult moose. The spikes were both around 3 feet long. Another one was shot that was around 800lbs dressed that had long spikes, the same thing with deer! It can and does happen from time to time... Though the majority are just young bucks..
Old 07-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I believe modern whitetail science has consistently shown us that spikes do NOT need to be "culled". As mentioned by many of the educated sportsman above, the vast majority of spikes are simply yearling bucks and , like ANY yearling buck, they simply should NOT be shot. I have never seen a "mature" spike in my life!
Amen.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The jury is out, however there are some studies that show that even a yearling spike has bad genetics and may need to be culled.

MOST yearling bucks will actually be 6 pointers and genetically will generally grow to have larger antlers than a yearling spike will over the rest of their lifetime. (Based on actual studies, not antectodal observations).

Here's a quote from a study. (I added the bold emphasis)
In all cases, the fork group is greater than the spike group, and ranges from 6.7%-15.2% advantage for main beam spread; 13.1%-54.4% for main beam length; 13.5%-22.4% for basal circumference; 12.9%-108.3% for total points; 31.3%-125.6% for total antler weight; and 10.2%-15.3% for live body weight. It is difficult to understand how this data can be interpreted to prove that there is no difference between spike and fork-sired deer on the one hand and to state that only 20% of the spikes are inferior and 80% "will likely develop into decent bucks if allowed to grow to maturity." If you will review the tables carefully, they will reveal that in almost all cases, the fork group was equal or better at 3.5 years than the spike group at 4.5 years.
Here's a summary of one of the studies - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/land/wildlife_management/deer/spikes_not_inferior/
Old 07-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with taking a spike every now and then. I promise it won't destroy your deer herd.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

It depends also on where you are hunting as up this way a yearly spike can reach up to 130 punds dressed if eating the right food. Also up this way we have no antlerless deer permits as the deer numbers do not allow it. So a spike is better shooting then a doe and it leaves an adult buck to breed and pass his genes on. Some of the yearlings will make for another year while some will become coyote food.. Our winters have been getting milder and if this cotinues the deer once again will start gaining a better foot hold. Maybe then the antler issue will get looked at, but for now 1 deer a year with antlers is all allowed in this area..
I see your point.That is a big yearling! It is like a whole different species comparing northern deer to southern. Our hunting season starts in 5 weeks and there will be plenty of25 lb.spotted fawnsrunning around then. Our buck/doe ratio got so out of whack that we're having late summer births and there is no winter kill here. A good bit of our state has 8 to 10 either sex days with two antlerless deer allowed each day and the option to buy 4 antlerless permits to use anytime after Sept. 15. The DNR is now looking into reinstating a buck limit as now there isNO limit on private land for bucks with 3" spikes minimum! There have always been those competitive types who want to see who can kill the most deer every season and taking 30 to 40 a year being common, with most of those being 1 to 2 year old bucks. Not good for the herd ratio.