Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

spike bucks

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 PM

Default spike bucks

I often wondered about spikes. Any one know if spikes are just bad genes or do the amount to something in later yrs?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spike bucks

well most of the spike are immature yearlings. although last year my cousin neal harvested a mature spike--about 5 yrs old. genes would probably be the problem. you can prevent this by managing the doe population on your property if you own some.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

I don't believe that spikes have any problem developing, this has been a heated topic in the whitetail world for many years. I have seen more evidence and heard more experts say not to cull young spikes that i still let them go in order to grow.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Like Chris H said, most are yearlings. I had a pet buck that was a 3" spike his first year, a 6" three pt. his second year, then went on to be a 100" class 6 pt. the rest of his life. If the spikes are 6" or less and the deer appears to be 100lbs. or less, it is probably young and best left to mature. If it is 130lb.+ and has spikes that look like main beams, it is a genetic spike and you need to take him out of the gene pool. A few years ago I took a 3pt. that with a 17" spread and weighed 190lbs! I'm still trying to get his offspring culled out.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bhunter50

I don't believe that spikes have any problem developing, this has been a heated topic in the whitetail world for many years. I have seen more evidence and heard more experts say not to cull young spikes that i still let them go in order to grow.
I agree bhunter50. I also think it depends on where you are hunting... up here in the NE, many year and a half old deerare spikes / 3 pointers. No management and not the best nutrition either.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

It depends also on where you are hunting as up this way a yearly spike can reach up to 130 punds dressed if eating the right food. Also up this way we have no antlerless deer permits as the deer numbers do not allow it. So a spike is better shooting then a doe and it leaves an adult buck to breed and pass his genes on. Some of the yearlings will make for another year while some will become coyote food.. Our winters have been getting milder and if this cotinues the deer once again will start gaining a better foot hold. Maybe then the antler issue will get looked at, but for now 1 deer a year with antlers is all allowed in this area..
Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

I have killed 2 mature spikes in my life, one had 10" spikes the other like 13" spikes..........
I really don't know what a spike may turn out to be, but im not shooting any buck unless he is mature.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Around here you may come across a mature spike once in 3 lifetimes, they are just first year bucks that got off to a slow start(late birth) or live in areas with poor food, but they will get there eventually.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 AM

you will never get rid of bad genetics late births and injuryies can amount to spikes
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 AM

Spike are just young bucks that have not matured enough. They will eventually mature into a monster buck!

Quick Reply: spike bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.