Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Point Restrictions Isn't the answer.... >

Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

Old 01-24-2003, 01:51 PM

Default RE: Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

I am most likely going to get slamed for this but here goes. I live in southern wisconsin but do most of my hunting in north western wisconsin. Up there we have a $h!t load of does, there is also a good number of bucks allthough in there area I hunt most are 1 1/2 yrs. or younger. What I would like to see up there would be a piont res. say 4 or better to a side coupled with earn a buck. This would make every one shoot a doe that wanted a crack at a buck. But for this to work in my eyes they would have to change the button buck rule in the area. Wisconsin currently conciders a buck with 3" antlers or less a doe. and they make up 20-25% of the antlerless harvest a year. I would also be for a special youth tag, say 16 years old and youger. Where they would be able to harvest any buck with there tag. This would give the kids a chance at more deer than making them abide by the pt. restriction. Because I realize that to a 13 yr old a basket rack 6 pt. is a trophy. What bothers me is the grown hunters that year after year you see with a fork horn or spike strapped to there truck, and then complain that they don't see big bucks! I also realize that they would be better off making these rule in say 1/3 to 1/2 of the deer management units in the state. This way the "meat hunters" can have units that they can go and just throw lead at the first thing that they see. I am in no way thrying to demean any one or there hunting style, I realize that everyone has there own idea of why and what they want to hunt for. It's just very disheartening when I can pass up a spike after spike and they walk 300 yards down the trail and get shot by some one looking for meat. When all they had to do is let him go and wait for a doe to walk by.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

2002= 4 does. no bucks.