Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WEST VIRGINIANS how do you feel about point restrictions????? >

WEST VIRGINIANS how do you feel about point restrictions?????

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WEST VIRGINIANS how do you feel about point restrictions?????

Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Default WEST VIRGINIANS how do you feel about point restrictions?????

as aWV hunter i would like to see a point restriction implemented. how does the rest of the mountain state feel. living in northern WV. not to manybig bucks are seen or harvested, but all i hear is our neighboring state PA is really starting to see the benefits from it. well let me know your ideas and/or opinions......
Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Default RE: WEST VIRGINIANS how do you feel about point restrictions?????

I think this would be a bad idea! what needs to be put in is the rule you have to kill a doe before a buck. we our over ran by does all over the state this is just not what i've see our DNR offices agree here in mcdowell we have seen several BIG bucks here with in a 30min drive 17,12,12,10,10,9,7,and several pope and young so I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU
Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM

The farm I hunt in Dodd. Co has a self imposed antler restriction rule on it. (Must be racked) It's been in effect for 6 years now and it works. I don't think it will ever happen state wide though. I myself would like to see a "1" buck limit per year. That means if you take a buck with your bow then your done for the year.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM

I agree something should be done in WV. Id like to see some form of restriction on bucks statewide so that they can live beyond their first year carrying antlers. My land in Preston Countyhas beenintensively managed for big bucks for 3 almost 4 years now.Its working because were really starting to see some potential. My cousin shot a 150class 10pt in bow season. So far we've only shot some does with a rifle. With the rut being over the big boys just arent on their feet. But were hopeful for late season muzzeloading when their stomachs bring them out of hiding. I would like to see WV restrict buck harvest to 1 with a gun/muzzeloader and 1 with a bow. Also some type of age or antler restriction, but maybe limit it to hunters over 18, or 21 yrs of age. I wouldnt want to deprive a begining hunter from shooting his/her first deer whether it be a spike or whatever.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

I like that idea about not restricting the young hunters, but what about they guys that started hunting at age 28 like myself. What about no restriction if it was your first (antlered) buck or first year or two hunting. Just something I figured I'd throw out there for the debate.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

completely against any ar's. This whole playing god thing about managing the deer herds are going to end hunting as we know it. Rises prices of land, tags, etc. Maybe on public land, basic ar's would be beneficial, but not on private land. I would personally give up hunting if I was told I couldnt shoot a deer that made ME happy. I can see 2 bucks per year, but not one.I dont think the state would give up the $20 a pop for extra tags that they are getting now for the extra buck/bow stamps. The whole purpose of hunting is to get meat and for enjoyment, when you regulate the crap outta it, it loses the fun aspect. IMO
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally like the idea, particularly given the success in PA that is even acknowledged by many of the former skeptics there. All I need is a tag for one buck a year too. If you need meat, shoot a doe. The mere fact that more, bigger bucks are running around due to AR's is excitement enough to make it a worthy policy.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bowhunter747

but all i hear is our neighboring state PA is really starting to see the benefits from it. well let me know your ideas and/or opinions......
Don’t believe everything you read we also have a herd reduction policy in effect that has decimated our button bucks as they are mistaken for doe. It surged the first 2 years but since then our doe population was slaughtered so the buck population also slid way down ; the does just weren’t there to give birth to the next generation of bucks. The only places seeing any reward from PA’s policies are areas with vast tracks of posted land. Look at where the big bucks are being killed Allegheny county and why VERY limited land access. I don’t know anything about your states plan but if it has a heard reduction plan along with point restriction enjoy the hunting while you can it will be short lived
Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 PM

I'd love to see it. It's exactly why I buy a PA hunting license every year in addition to my WV license and brave the state game lands up there. It's nice to see bucks on a regular basis with more than four points when you hunt.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:35 PM

Here is another problem. In McDowell County we have a group from Tazewell County VA that has leased and posted the majority of the public land they wound and hunt on sundays something has to be done[:@]. now people who have hunted all there lives and spent over 2000.00 dollars over a 10 year time puting out minerals and feed and small plots are being told to move on or else. is that fair.

as for the restrictions on antlered deer we can only kill 1 buck in the 4 bow only countys and it has worked for years and now that we can kill an additional antlerless deer our heards are getting BIGGER BUCKS

Quick Reply: WEST VIRGINIANS how do you feel about point restrictions?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.