Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I know the answer to this question, let's see who else knows the real answer >

I know the answer to this question, let's see who else knows the real answer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I know the answer to this question, let's see who else knows the real answer

Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I know the answer to this question, let's see who else knows the real answer

Why does a deer stomp its feet when it sees you or something it isn't sure of? And NO its not trying to make you move.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I know the answer to this question, let's see who else knows the real answer

I hope you're not going with the gland thing.[8D] That's only part of it (and to get you to move IS another part).
Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I know the answer to this question, let's see who else knows the real answer

LOL

Shhhh! See what answers we get.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

i would say they stomp becuase they are disturbed or scared maybe even a lil nervous
Old 06-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually when they stomp they snort. By snorting the deer is trying to gather scent molecules from the air at a pretty high rate so that they can detect the pereceived threat. And by stomping, they are trying to gain some knowledge of their visual environment by trying to entice the threat to move.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

To alert other deerthat something is not right in the area? As far as snorting I think that is smell induced as well as an alert to others as well.........
Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

We all know that deer have a really good sense of smell. Actually everthing in thewhitetail's worldrevolves around scent.

We know they deposit scent when they rub trees, pee in scrapes and use licking branches.

Deer have several scent glands on their body, in the nose, on the forehead, by the eyes and on their legs. they have scent glands between their hoove too.

These glands are called interdigital glands. They deposit scent when a deer walks. they also deposit "EXTRA" scent when a deer stomps it's feet or runs.

So when a deer is stomping it's feet it releases an "EXTRA" amount of this scent. This scent means danger. It alerts other deer that something is wrong here. This "EXTRA" scent will linger in the area and even alert other deer to the danger, when they pass by the area much later.

Yes, the snorting is the deer trying to clear it's nose to draw in more scent molecules to smell "that out of place object" it knows is there. It is trying to smell you, not scare you as many believe.

I saw a hunting video made back in the mid 1980's about caribou hunting. They demonstrated how this interdigital gland thing works.

When the hunters would spook a caribou and make it run, the next group of caribou that came by that spot would just start running and look around all nervous and stuff. The next group would do the same, and over and over.

They explained what was happening and howit worked. It wasa Bob Mcquire video. He had videos with Dan Fitzgerald and Bob Folkrod together when they were getting just getting started.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

When a prey animal spots a predator,many species of prey may give analarm call (putting turkeys, barking squirrels, stomping/snorting deer, etc). It's nature's way for prey to notifythe predator (or suspected predator)that the jig is up and that any attack is not likely going to succeed. Both species can save energy if a likely-unsuccessful attack is aborted.

-fsh
Old 06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're testing to see if their tennies are still tightly laced-otherwise they could trip over their own shoelaces when fleeing