Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent lok?

Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Scent lok?

Add baking soda, do the same to your laundry water, spend your money on more important things.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:07 AM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Add baking soda, do the same to your laundry water, spend your money on more important things.
But the baking soda didn't make the clothes color going "white"? i've heard that before...

Francis
Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Francis_Qc

But the baking soda didn't make the clothes color going "white"? i've heard that before...

Francis
It could, but a little white tinge to the color is nothing. A lot of old timers have used it for many a years.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:43 PM

If those of you who own it, and feel that it works, thats your opinion. If it seems to work for you, good. Movement/sound is what seems to give me away. Never smell. In fact there are times where i will find my dog laying on my hunting jacket and end up with his hair all over it.Doesnt seem to hurt my hunting one bit. I hunt on the ground and walk a good amount for mule deer/elk. Never hunted from a high tree stand. I'll usually take some sage brush, crush it up and rub the scent on my hands. Great relaxing smell to sage.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Francis_Qc

Francis
I add half a boxduring the wash cycle to kill any smell from the drum, then add the other half during the firstrinse cycle, most of it rinses out during the second rinse leaving only a slight residual amount. "Whitening" has never been a problem from my observations, and the residual soda keeps killing odor while I wear the garments. Unlikethe unverifiable claims of ScentLok and other carbon garmentsthe odor protection is infinitely renewable throughout the life of the garment when using baking soda, and at 50 cents per box isconsiderably less expensive.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:21 PM

I think that the most important thing to come up with a really really good scent program, get ready for the woods in the same manner religously every time the exact same way, and that way you don't make mistakes...most important thingand I think everyone knows...play the wind, you cant go wrong...
Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 PM

you can also gather leaves, pine needled from the surroundingt area you are hunting, bring it home and boil it in water and use a funnel and make your own scent cover in a spray bottle. Ive done that before and it smells stronger than the stuff u get at the store.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good suggestion WinchesterX,

One reason I quit using the Earth Scent wafers is someone told me those don't smell like our woods, which was true. Sure, it might not spook a deer, but when they smell an unnatural smell, they might get more on edge, avoid that area, look in that direction, etc. I've also seen people that swear by coon pee (mimics coon who climbs tree), but I really haven't felt a strong enough need to stink up all my hunting clothes yet.