Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods >

What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Old 06-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Default RE: What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Someone please let me know when they find a PROOVEN scent elimination system. The scent elimination suits are a waste of money. I no one fella in particular that has one, uses it correctly and still gets busted. I call it a marketing ploy like the whole ORGANIC foodsthing and Angus Beef scams. Just a marketing money making ploy.

I wash my clothes in scent eliminating detergent and then in Arm and Hammer. I air dry them, store them in a plastic bag and plastic container with cedar branches/ cedar shavings. Sometimes my La Cross rubber boots are walked in the cow yard for extra cover scent.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM

I wash my clothes in scent-free detergent. Then I ALWAYS store my clothes in a air tight plastic pub. That means to and from the woods! I dress at my truck. I hunt areas with ALOT of corn so everytime I get out of the woods I put some parts of the shell from corn and also any sort of wild grass or weeds in the tub with my clothes. Make sure you play the wind right and walk thru as much water as possible on the way in. Also, I wear scent proof rubber boots...All works for me.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: boss400

get to tree climb 30 ft up stop no sent

Ummm i gotta totally disagree with this one all this will do is possibly have the deer smell you at an even farther disance from your stand, deer that you will probably never even see? Thats If you dont play the wind???

Old 06-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

I wash my clothes in baking soda and rinse them twice b/c baking soda absorbs scent so I want my clothesto be rinsed free of the baking soda. I use Odor Nix which is also used in hospitals. hands down the best product i've ever used. Here in SC our season opens in early Sept. and some parts even Aug. So its still well in the 90's.

Since I started using thermal cell and Odor Nixmost of my days in the tree stand (early season) are in a tshirt and a pair of shorts.

Even with all of that said, hunting the correct wind is the best approach.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: tmeservey

Someone please let me know when they find a PROOVEN scent elimination system. The scent elimination suits are a waste of money. I no one fella in particular that has one, uses it correctly and still gets busted. I call it a marketing ploy like the whole ORGANIC foodsthing and Angus Beef scams. Just a marketing money making ploy.

I wash my clothes in scent eliminating detergent and then in Arm and Hammer. I air dry them, store them in a plastic bag and plastic container with cedar branches/ cedar shavings. Sometimes my La Cross rubber boots are walked in the cow yard for extra cover scent.
Ok...this is totally off subject, but ORGANIC food and regular food are two totally different things. Orgainic food isn't grown with added hormones and isn't genetically altered. Do the research.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM

Almost the entire scent reduction products are scams. Scent-Lok and similiar brands do not work, simple as that. As far as my method, all I do is wash my clothes in a cover scent detergent, put them in the special bag I got from cabelas, and put my boots on in the woods. But most importantly I play the wind.

Don't be fooled into buying special scent reducing clothes people!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt downwind.
nuff said...
Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

We the young bucks at camp practice scent control some to the extreme. The guy in camp below us will wear is camo while running chainsaw etc he hunts the wind and never has a shortage of impressive bucks on the meatpole. The wind can be your best friend or your worst enemy play it right and have a stand for every wind direction and you are golden. Also if in ravines or rather hilly terrain pay attention to the morn and evening thermals
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt in an area that has a few camps around. They burn wood and the deer are pretty much used to wood smoke, so I like to get some wood smoke on my clothes and use raccoon cover scent on the bushes where I am setting in. This works OK to me.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Bartender

I get a real realshort hair cut and shave my mustache and armpits before hunting season and keep it that way.

Quick Reply: What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.