Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods >

What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Old 05-23-2007, 11:46 AM

Default What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Each of us have our own "procedure" for reducing our human scents and using cover/lure scents to help us get closer to those big bucks. I am facinated by the rituals that we go through in order to do this. Personally I wash my clothes (even a dedicated pair of underware) in Scent Killer Detergent a couple night before the hunt, then I place them in a Space Bag (the kind you vaccum out the air) to store them away from any outside air. The morning of the hunts I use scent killer boday wash to wash my hair and body. I then powder myself with ATSKO's N-O-DOR (a thin coat all over my body) then I use scent killer deodorant. As I layer my clothes I spray each layer with Carbon Blast Plus and also re-up throughout the course of the day.
To elimate my scents in the field I use a critter scent like raccon or even deer urine and to lure I use estrus urine and sometime concentrated corn scent (though it may be too foreign for some locations). This is my method in a nut shell. Please Share yours.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

That sounds like an awful lot of work to me.

I normally wash in scent killer detergent, place clothes in a bag with pine branches and always make sure I hunt a stand that the wind is in my favor.

We as hunters sometimes get anal about eliminating our scent when the best thing we can do is pay attention to the wind. I have a good friend that consistently takes very nice bucks every year. He washes his clothes in regular detergent, does nothing to eliminate his scent but he always, always pays attention to the wind. All efforts to eliminate human scent are a waste of time if the wind is blowing your scent across the area you are hunting.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

The first thing I do isrun the washer empty on rinse to help remove any detergent residue from the basket. Then I wash my hunting clothes with Scent-A-Way detergent and dry them with earth-scented dryer sheets. As soon as they're dry and cooled, they go into a large trash bag that I seal up as best I can and put in a plastic bin. I spray my boots and gloves inside and outwith scent killer, dry them outside in the sun,and bag them up as well.

On the morning of the hunt, I shower with scent killing soap and deodorant,takemy clothing out, get dressed, and spray my boots (especially the soles) one more time before heading into the field.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: AKCanyonKing

Each of us have our own "procedure" for reducing our human scents and using cover/lure scents to help us get closer to those big bucks. I am facinated by the rituals that we go through in order to do this. Personally I wash my clothes (even a dedicated pair of underware) in Scent Killer Detergent a couple night before the hunt, then I place them in a Space Bag (the kind you vaccum out the air) to store them away from any outside air. The morning of the hunts I use scent killer boday wash to wash my hair and body. I then powder myself with ATSKO's N-O-DOR (a thin coat all over my body) then I use scent killer deodorant. As I layer my clothes I spray each layer with Carbon Blast Plus and also re-up throughout the course of the day.
To elimate my scents in the field I use a critter scent like raccon or even deer urine and to lure I use estrus urine and sometime concentrated corn scent (though it may be too foreign for some locations). This is my method in a nut shell. Please Share yours.
What are you selling or getting ready to pitch? First post regarding this? Reads like a lead in.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Bartender

I wash cloths in a scent reducer and rinse twice and used zullo last year. But mostly the wind.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:59 PM

No one else suspicious, huh? I smell a TROLL.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt downwind.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 PM

get to tree climb 30 ft up stop no sent
Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Clean cloths-dont put boots on till your there-shave your head-climb up high or keep your nose in the wind.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red Lion,

At least he would be a troll who actually learned English and is talking about something hunting related.

I'm about maxed out on what I am going to do on scent control. If I do much more, hunting = not fun. I do usually run empty load through the washer, and I use some kind of scent kill laundry detergent, put my clothes in a big tupperware container with a few sticks and leaves, take shower with scentkiller stuff morning of, wear Enduraskin, sometimes put clothes on after getting out of truck, and spray myself down with scentkiller prior to going in the field. That's enough for me. I already get laughed at for doing all that. I don't always strictly adhere to this. I'll be hungry and wear my hunting clothes in the camp with bacon and egg grease all in the air. C'est la vie.

Quick Reply: What's Your Best Scent Reducing Methods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.