Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Out of control!!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Out of control!!

Oh look!! I found another thread on ethics, or lack thereof. If you got a bad neighbor stake the ground or use nails, a rifle range with his land and possibly people beyond it, real nice. Do what you can in coordination with your local law enforcementin regards to the trespassing and possible property damage(and I would only do that after talking to the guy, which it sounds like you have done), but if you do anythingother than that you might just start a long term neighbor battle which is always fun .
Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ATV's have a place - it's on farms and large tracts of land where foot/truck access is limited.

Around here, we have reliefer scumbags who dress like Fred Sanford (on a good day) and send their kids to school looking like mountain militia refugee campers. These people live in trailers on 100'x100' rental lots, drive 1982 rustbuckets, but they somehow manage to have $6000 Bombardiers and Polarises that they like to get drunk and drive all over everyone else's property.

We even have a few gems who have lost their licenses (DUI) and purchased quads to drive (trespass) the whole way to work, and cause the landowners to wallpaper their property with POSTED signs and cost me my hunting spots.

Meanwhile, some poor schlep that owns the local golf course is stuckrepairing $20,000 worth ofdamage to his greens because some trashbag decided that it would be fun to jacklight a few deer anddo donutsall over the greens on the back nine at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Seriously, they need to pass a law that requires people to show that they have somewhere to actually RIDE the quad before they buy it. A patch-hunkie with a yard the size of a postage stamp really has no business owning a 550cc 4x4 ATV.

I feel much better now, having vented a little.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same deal in my area. People who are living on foodstamps will shell out thousands for a 4-wheeler, then come and tresspass on parkland next to my neighborhood and speed up and down the streets.

Its too bad that some folks with 4-wheelers ruin it for everybody. There is a group of about 10 kids (late teens and early 20s) who ride all over the main roads by my dad's place. They also like to run their 4-wheelers up and down a gravel pile across the road from a young mennonite couple late at night. I caught them at it one night and when they came down the road toward me, I drove my truck right down the middle of the road and forced them all to the shoulder. The sad thing is that when folks like that tresspass on property and cause damage, it often gets blamed on all hunters.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM

I would pursue the heck out of the potential trespassing charges but that's about all you can do. Unless this guy's running a business on land that's not zoned commercially of course??? Then you might have something. Sadly it is his land to destroy. But a lot of good comes along with that right. It also gives you the right to buy your own land and create your own hunting sanctuary.

I ditto becoming the crazy neighbor guy but not to the point of obsession or where it consumes you. Just have some fun with it. You can walk around in camo fatigues with your remington and night vision goggles and an aluminum foil hat you claim keeps the government brain waves out.

I would put up all sorts of threatening signs regarding what will happen to trespassers and survivorsand run barbwire all along the border of the land. At least make it somewhat visually deterring and painful for them to enter your own land.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:15 PM

chucker34

I ditto becoming the crazy neighbor guy but not to the point of obsession or where it consumes you. Just have some fun with it. You can walk around in camo fatigues with your remington and night vision goggles and an aluminum foil hat you claim keeps the government brain waves out.

[/quote] Now that's some funny stuff, may have to try it.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use of neighboring land is obvious = trespassing. But a lot of trespassing laws require posting or warning before prosecution, so check on that and do what you need to do first. You should also be able to recover for actual damage done to your land. Some states have laws giving double or triple damage for things like willful timber damage.

As for use of his land, there are only about 2 approaches: (1) noise ordinance: I have seen that work where a dirt track was put in next to a horse farm (for racing), and it was ruining the horses, (2) environmental issues: If he is digging ditches, filling in streams, etc. then he may be violating certain Corps. of Engineers wetlands law (like 404 permits you need to build a neighborhood on land classified as wetlands). It doesn't take too much for land to meet wetland, but you will at least need some kind of water moving through there.

Filing suit could get expensive. So at a minimum I would pursue the trespassing thing first. If he violates it you could get an injunction, and then have the trespassers arrested.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

You could start building a barb wire fence down your property line. Put in the posts and then put in the first strand of wire at about3.5 feet. Leave it that way for awhile. Only one four wheeler will hit it. The rest will get the message.

Oh, our place does have a real rifle range on it, to 150 yards, soon to be extended to 200 yards. The place is posted.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's his property and he can do what he wants with it - as long he's within the existing laws. Passing a new "law" really will not do anything because he would most likely be "grandfathered" in.

Just because you see some other, different and grand hunting scenerio for his proprerty doesn't mean squat.

If he decides to build a house there - does he have to consult with you as to the size,design and colors?

Should he have to consult with you as to the size of the ATVs he allows to run on his property? If it is alright with you - can he run 2WD & (heaven forbid) 4WD ATV's on his property?

Maybe this guy indeed does have other property (or properties) that he deems as better for hunting and he hunts there along with (if it's OK with you) some other friends or relatives.

I mean if you really have your undies in such a twist and insist in getting your self into his business - why not start by you paying his property taxes? Or better yet - buy the place from him outright. You can be the little local branch of the Autobohn Society.

It is indeed very hard to find nice pieces of land to ATV on and this guy allowing everyone to use free of charge it is quite generous IMO. He might want to post some signs or set a fence (pretty costly) to tell the riders to respect the neighbors properties. But in defense of the property lines - maybe they are notclear.

Why not just make the best of the situation and get yourself an ATV and enjoy the property. While you are there riding you can subtly remind less thoughtful riders of respecting the neighbors property.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:09 PM

This exact thing happened here in the town I livein and it cost the fence owner $1.5 million in damages when a kid (trespassing) hit the wire and caused severe lacerations to his face. The owner also had a grand jury indictment for criminal negligence. I don't understand some of your reasoning behind your comments, it's actions like this that tarnish the public's view of hunters.
ORIGINAL: falcon

You could start building a barb wire fence down your property line. Put in the posts and then put in the first strand of wire at about3.5 feet. Leave it that way for awhile. Only one four wheeler will hit it. The rest will get the message.

Oh, our place does have a real rifle range on it, to 150 yards, soon to be extended to 200 yards. The place is posted.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:12 PM

Uncle Matt, I agree wholeheartedly. Two developers from the Twin Cities had grand plans of building 43 houses on 50 acres of a nearby rural Minnesota parcel that adjoined a lake. They planned to put in a marina with 30 plus slips on a 400 acre lake. The outcry from the community was loud and clear. But so was the county commissioner who snidely told the group of concerned citizens "There's a simple solution. Buy the land otherwise you're wasting you're time."

Although I knew he was right legally, I stood up and said that was the most a--anine, stuck-up and arrogant thing I had ever heard an elected official utter. The message was loud and clear - money solves the problem. We shouldn't debate whether or not that's too many houses in a shoreland district and the environmental impact it would have. We should just buy the land and let the laws lie where they were. No sense in changing things for the better. Just get out your checkbook.

BTW, in our case, the developers backed off and planned half that many houses and one dock with a dozen slips, which is probably what they had intended all along. But you have to shoot for the moon to land among the stars as they say. I'd doubt the author of this post could get that far with the guy he's describing.

Quick Reply: Out of control!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.