Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WV hunting memories

Old 12-02-2002, 05:40 PM

Default WV hunting memories

Can anybody help me out with this situation? My hunting buddy, my dad, has been gone from this old earth 5 years now. We always hunted together on our 300 acre farm located in Tucker County, WV for over 25 years. I still find myself going to his tree roothole expecting to find him. Thanksgiving day was for the second year straight very hard to deal with. I was the only person on the farm that day and I found myself so lonely. Is this normal behavior and if so do I need to take a break from it or keep on plugging away? This sounds like Dear Abby column however who better to get advice from than the hunters. Hopefully somebody can relate to it.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:50 AM

Default RE: WV hunting memories

I can definitely relate. I lost my best hunting/fishing partner in 1994. Tried hunting alone but it wasn't the same. Try to find someone you feel comfortable hunting with. It's all about sharing the experience. No one will ever take your father's place, but I'm sure he would want you to continue to enjoy the sport that left you with so many fond memories.

And besides he will always be with you in spirit. My Dad is.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

rmjones I know where you are coming from, my father didn't hunt, but both him and my mom were big into fishing, now that they are both gone fishing is not the same, but in a weird way every time I go fishing with my kids, I feel a closeness to my parents. I am pretty much a lone wolf when it comes to hunting though, I was taught by my uncle and older cousin how to hunt in the 60's, but for the most part I have always hunted by myself. Hunting to me is my time with God and his creations. Maybe you should try hunting your dads stand a few times, you might be surprised to feel his presence when you do.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Spike

rm...Really hard to explain the absence of someone like your father! I always hunted with my dad, but now age has taken the toll on him, he can't do it anymore.I also really miss him when it comes to deer hunting, he taught me tons about the deer and their habits.Last week, being the first week of our deer season in WV, he called 2 times to see how I have done,kinda makes me feel good to know he still has a fire burning inside for something that he used to love......Hang in there.... from an old Randolph Co. deer hunter, find yourself a new huntin partner, and continue to enjoy it.
Snort

file:///C:/My%20Documents/bald_eagle.gif
Old 12-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your dad would surely be happy to know you are still hunting and enjoying it. My dad never hunted, but losing him suddenly two years ago put me in a hurt I haven't gotten through to this day. Cherish the memories but forge new friendships and push on, as hard as it is. Surely that's the way he would have wanted it, right?
Old 12-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Remember the stories and keep telling them..Introduce a new hunter to the sport..perhaps a son or daughter..On Thanksgiving day, I took my son to a spot where my dad and I stood over 20 years ago..

~Will Hunt For Food~