Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

just wondering..

Old 11-28-2002, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default just wondering..

monday morning will be my 4th deer season i hunted in my life..i took a doe my first year and the second year i got a button buck the first day(didnt know he was a button) both were under special junior regulations..the first year we could take does on the saturdays of buck season and i got mine the last day of buck season and it was great...the second year we could take a doe all buck season if we had a doe tag and i did the first day of buck season...last year in a junior doe hunt in october i shot one and never found it and the first day of rifle(we could take does all season...states reducing the herd) and later in the season i wounded yet another doe to never find...(scope was broke i had no idea and feel horrible so coughed up the money for a leupold this year!) in the 3 seasons ive already hunted ive only seen one buck and we couldnt shoot it because we kicked it up in a field and there was a hunter right hbehind it that would caught the bullet after the buck....we see atleast 20 does a year while hunting too...i may see some small buck like spikes and such that i cant tell because i never had decint glass for many diffrent reasons...but this year i do so i will look...i think the reason i dont see bucks is because i shoot the first deer i see and so does my dad...what do you think?? i dont need deer meat or anything i just love it..so i take the first deer i can so i know i will have it(less i know its a fawn)...do you think i will see bucks if i dont wack the first deer i see? this year i have one doe tag and one buck tag anf my dad has 2 doe tags and a buck tag for wehre we will be the first week...i plan on shooting the first deer i see still and i know he does..(i would wait but its useless being i am beside him and he wont wait) i am just wondering if you think i will see bucks if i would wait? it shouldnt take long for me to fill my doe tag if all goes as planned..then i will be buck hunting...maybe i can get my dad to let me sit a little away from him after that later in the season to help my chances or something i just want to see what you think?? my dad used to take bucks regualrly before he could take the first deer he sees...you think if i wait i could too?? thanx...

Old 11-28-2002, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: just wondering..

You stated you don't need the meat or anything...you just love it. So why not wait and see. If you see 20 does in a given season then whats the rush? Why do you and dad sit right together? Is it age, safety or just the way dad likes it?

It sounds as though you have your mind made up, you'll shoot your doe and then hunt your buck...that is fine. However you never know whats tailing that doe you decide to shoot...so in some cases it is worth the wait but guess what no gaurantees!

Have fun and do what ever will make you happy. Sounds like you would like to branch out on your own a bit. Have you mentioned this to dad? If not and it is legal than do so. Tell him he has taught you well and now it is time to try and test the knowledge on your own. Again only if it is legal to do so.

Good luck and be safe!

Old 11-28-2002, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats the thing...im 15 and PA says we have to beable to yell to eachother and understand to be legal..but last year i shot one of the does right over the hill across the trail from our main spot..traild being used on bothe sides of a cut gamecommision trail..i dont see a problem with doing that and i doubt he would..just not on the first day...i wouldnt want to be alone on the first day...there are tons of lead flingers here in PA and who knows when i might catch one..and i hate to pass up good meat because who knows what might happen...maybe i will get sick or something like that and i cant get back out that season and if i dont hunt chances of my dad going are slim..he told me im the reason he goes except in turkey season so that would be a venison free year and id hate that...thats why when i see a nice healthy deer i liek to take it..and this post really is assuring me in a way that next year if i hunt away from dad and wait a while i have a good chance of seeeing a buck..and this year if all goes as planned and like last year(only i will drop what i shoot) i will have my doe for that county and will be a buck hunter...and we plan ot hunt that county alot...my dad got 2 does tags there this year so we will be up there alot...i will tell him after i got my doe i want to sit watching somewehre diffrent and see if i can get me a buck without him scaring them by taking a doe...if not thats fine next year i will be alone and bow hunting!! i always see big bucks in archery season while fall turkey hunting! i will live without a rack until then if i must...

Old 11-28-2002, 11:07 PM

I don't think that by taking a doe will hurt your chances. You have a tag for both...so you can take a doe and then focus on a buck for the rest of the season! Good Luck!