Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Starting to look for my own land >

Starting to look for my own land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting to look for my own land

Old 01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Starting to look for my own land

Depending on where you are, you might have to finance locally and get raped on the rate. Also, many banks want to take on a floater that resets every few years. Fortunately for me, I was able to take out a second on my home and pay off the land, and roll the project of finishing my basement into that second loan as well. I ended up with a lower rate that was fixed (the higher rate was a floater that would have goneeven higher), and stretched out the amortization period to make it more affordable.

Bear in mind the neighbors and that the more small tracts that border you, the less well off you are. Also, nothing is forever, so turnover on bordering areas will happen, and larger tracts might get broken up and sold as smaller ones, further degrading your prospects. Bordering a state forest has a lot of value in that regard, particularly if that forest is hard to get to, since the impact on you will be minimal.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davs2601

How are land purchases financed. Is it the same as a mortgage, 30 year note??
My bank told me that they don`t like going 30 yrs on vacant land.Icould have gone anythng from 5-20 yrs.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davs2601

How are land purchases financed. Is it the same as a mortgage, 30 year note??
iwas offered with a 20 or 25 year mortgage when i went to buy mine
Old 01-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It all depends on what banks are willing to loan you money and what their terms are. Consider that different banks have different terms at different times to match up with their loanable funds (people's personal savings accounts and CD's). Any way you slice it, you are MUCH better off taking a second on your primary residence than financing land separately.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

In my area, western Iowa, I wanted more land to hunt on. We have very little public land and it is way overhunted during the season.

I started small by buying 80 ares of farm land at an auction and cash rent it to a farmer in the area. It has a small creek on the corner of it and some fencelines intersecting it. I pay nothing for it because the cash rent pays for the mortgage on the land, I only paid a down payment up front.

Consider this for an option if it is possible in your area.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. It may be a few years before I can fit it in but I hope that I can soon own a nice piece of land. I am sure there is a tremendious deal of satisfation from owning your own hunting property.

That sounds like a great idea, leasing it out to farmers to pay the note..thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM

sounds like a good investment
Old 01-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck Greg ... I would like to do the same but find it impractable to pay that much for land just to hunt deer ... I would prefer to lease a 200 to 300 acre parcel ....but its tuff to do here in western Kentucky these ole boy's are very stingy with their hunting land and deer ...back in Alabama if I needed a plcae to hunt there was always someone who would take me ...although the last 15 years ive been lucky enough to have a good lease so I would end up taking others that had no place to hunt ... maybe this time next year I will have found a good farm to lease ...I did have a man offer to let me hunt the other day but told me I would h ave to be able to shoot fast ...I assumed they must run dogs or something so I asked him why I would have to be able to "shoot fast" and he said "cause I aint got but two acres" [:@]

dd
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 AM

Yeah good luck with purchasing hunting land. I am still about 4-5 years away from being able to buy a good hunk myself. I have to wait for the little one to grow a bit first. I will definitely look for a chunk of 25-50 acres abuting state or federal forrest, so I actually end up with thousands of acres, versus 25-50.