Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Starting to look for my own land >

Starting to look for my own land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting to look for my own land

Old 01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Starting to look for my own land

Yep, its great to own your own land. I was fortunate to buy a small piece in my home community in Illinois 3 years ago before things got completely out of hand there in terms of price. My 19 acres is entirely wooded and full of deer turkeys and squirrels. I've got one stand on it, but it could easily handle at least one more. Just depends on the terrain.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i close on my 40 acre slice of heaven this friday.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

As far as how much land/how many hunters it can handle, I think it totally depends on the layout of the land. I never dreamed my little 13.5 acres would even be huntable, but turns out it is the best hunting I`ve ever had. I could easily put one other hunter on it, (but I`m not gonna).
Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gregholland

Well I've decided to start looking for my own 25-50 acres to hunt. I'm so sick and tired of having to put up with having to hurry up and log into the Fort Hood system and put up with their crap. Sometimes you get a hunt, and sometimes you are out of luck.

Time to own my own little piece of the American dream. I'm planning on starting small (25-50 acres) then slowly progress up in acreage.

Anyone else in ever been in these shoes?
Man, if you are looking at hill country acreage, you better have some pennies saved up. I have heard from some friends that have places out there that land prices are sky high (especially on small acreages). Even here in east Texas, small acreage prices are pretty stupid ($2000-2500/acre for unimproved land). In 1994, I bought 27 unimproved acres with 550 feet of water front on Lake Bob Sandlin in Camp county for $2000/acre on thought I got raped. I kept it 4 years and sold it for $3600/acre with many improvements. Today, the same property is going for $5000+/acre for unimproved land. I wish I had had the foresight to hang on to what I had. Live and learn. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:38 PM

I think the amount of land you need depends on the location and hunter preference. I ve read that it should be 50 acres per hunter.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM

I think the amount of land per hunter depends on location and hunter preference. I ve read that 50 acres per hunter is recommended.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

depends on what type land it is ie.... bedding ,pass through, crop land , timber

the place i hunted the last three years was about 3 acres of ravine and about 4 acres of yard , but the deer passed through there all the time . needless to say i was very disappointed when they sold the property
Old 01-06-2007, 08:15 AM

Nothing like having your own place. We bought 84 acres 2 years ago. We had been looking for about 4 years, and happened to luck up. Land prices here are out of sight. There is no average price anymore. Uncleared land is roughly $6000/acre. If its cleared and has road frontage, it's running from $10,000 to $50,000 and acre. (just depending on what road it's on) Best advice, be patient, really look at what potential the land has, and be prepared to go over what you think you'll pay. My in-laws bought a farm with a house, the couple was still living, but couldn't manage the place anymore. They gave the couple lifetime rights to live there. It works out quite nicely. Good luck to you.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just let me know when you get it so I can come hunt with ya!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

How are land purchases financed. Is it the same as a mortgage, 30 year note??

Quick Reply: Starting to look for my own land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.