Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can you ID this slug?

Old 12-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Can you ID this slug?

I've been having one of those kind of hunting seasons. [&:]

Anyhow, today I climb up into my tree and I notice a nice ten point buck. He's not far.....almost within bowrange....... but he appears dead.

When shooting light slips away, I climb down, pack up and go inspect the deer.

I know he wasn't there on Monday.Buthe's been dead for a couple days. Coyotes haven't touched him and he's very skinny.

I notice a lump on his shoulder. There'sa slug just under his hide. I roll him over and see the entrance wound is in his throat. Shotgun season was almost three weeks ago. It appears that a quartering towards shot with a shotgun isn't that great of an idea either. [:'(]

Anyhow, here's the slug. I don't recognize the brand. Do any of you?

I know of one guy that says he shot a 'monster' and lost it near where I hunt.This deer isn't a monster by any means, but you how that goes. Anyhow, if I see him, I'll ask him what brand of slugs he was using. Maybe this is his deer and I'll give him the rack.

Thanks for your help!

It's marked 12 ga and cal 12 (???). There's some mark in the center but I can't make it out.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Can you ID this slug?

Here's some pics of the buck. Like I said, no monster, but a decent deer.

[&o]

entrance wound

You can see the slug under the skin on his shoulder.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldn't tell you what slug that is but after 3 weeks that deer wouldnt look like that! I would say it isn't that guys deer, maybe you have a poacher problem!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I think that those are Benneke or Bennekke something like that they are self rifling slugs..I may be wrong about the name..But i had some Benneke self rifling slugs and they was identical to that one.But as for it being a monster,I would have to call it a monster of a buck.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:08 PM

Do you think he could of lived for 3 weeks with the slug in him?
Old 12-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

The deer just recently died, but the wound was a couple of weeksold.
Thebody condition (skinny) suggested that it died of infection/starvation.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Bennekke
ORIGINAL: brushbustin

I think that those are Benneke or Bennekke something like that they are self rifling slugs..I may be wrong about the name..But i had some Benneke self rifling slugs and they was identical to that one.But as for it being a monster,I would have to call it a monster of a buck.
Think Brush might have the right slug. I did some research and found this picture of the Benneke slugs. Either way, those things look like they would so some damage. Piss poor shot IMHO. [:@]

Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

interesting...infection/starvation is very possible..exspecially with the penetration and damage that slug had to do.

maybe try posting this on the gun forum as well. someone should beable to ID the slug...its a bit deformed..but not much it doesnt look like. good luck...be nice to show the owner the pics and give him the rack..but im like you...id want him to somehow kinda show it was the buck he shot..

also gota give you credit...even coming close to that thing had to be foul..let alone cutting out a slug and cutting the head off!! wheeeew i bet that was nasty
Old 12-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mauser06

also gota give you credit...even coming close to that thing had to be foul..let alone cutting out a slug and cutting the head off!! wheeeew i bet that was nasty
He definitely smelled funky. I have a feeling I need to find a newspot to hunt. [&:]

I'll also have to give who ever shot it the benefit of doubt. While the shot ended up bad. I know bad shots happen.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 PM

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

The deer just recently died, but the wound was a couple of weeks old.
The body condition (skinny) suggested that it died of infection/starvation.
Well aren't you just the little deer anatomy doctor scientist person lol

Quick Reply: Can you ID this slug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.