Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
After the shot...HOW FAR did you track? >

After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

Old 11-24-2002, 09:54 PM

Default RE: After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

Yesterday I spent 4+ hours tracking a wounded deer before losing it. This was an entirely new experience for me, since no deer I had ever shot or tracked went more than 100 yards before piling up.

This deer was hit while running. I waited 20 minutes before following its track in order to give it time to lay down and stiffen up. When I went to the spot where it was shot, it was clear that the deer was hit. Within 5 yards, it immediately began to gush blood on the newly fallen snow.

There was a lot of blood. It sprayed about as if it were arterial or lung-shot. I thought for the first 300 yards that I would find the dead deer in the next ten seconds, however this was not to be the case. After having tracked the deer for 800 yards, I felt sure that the deer was only yards in front of me.

At this point, I stopped. As a former soldier, I know that adrenaline can do amazing things for a wounded person or animal. I let another 15 minutes pass before resuming the hunt. This down time can be critical to allowing the weakness to overcome the animal. Then the deer began what became its pattern: it doubled back on its track.

This took me 10 minutes of broadening circles to figure out. The deer ran down a trail and then, when it hit an crossing trail, doubled back the way it came. After it had retraced its path for 25 yards, it took off another direction.

I followed the trail for what I figure to be around five miles. During that stretch, I spent many minutes in an area with a radius of 50 yards, searching for the odd fleck of blood to distinguish a track from the 5 overlying tracks. Eventually I followed every possible track 20-30 yards and only then found the odd drop of blood. At other times, I could see the trail for the next 30 yards.

After hitting the roughly five mile point, I began to be tracking across peoples' back yards. Plus I was fighting the loss of light. When the deer took me into the sixth evergreen forest (where the snow hadn't reached the ground, thus making tracking more difficult) I finally had to give up.

Today, we heard that someone had seen the deer dragging a back leg the evening before. If that is the case, then I am convinced that I should use a heavier rifle. The 25-35 I was using has killed many deer, however it does not knock the deer down. We all want humane kills. However, we also want to avoid spoiling meat. Thus I will switch to a 300 savage for the upcoming season.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:02 AM

Honestly, for the above post it sounds to me like instead of a heavier rifle (which you might still need for other reasons), you need to take the finger off the trigger when the deer are running.
Just my opinion and I'm quite new at this whole thing, but running shots seem like they'd be very low percentage on the clean-kill chart.

Nate
Old 11-25-2002, 08:10 AM

25yards with my .357mag, though the longest i tracked (well i didnt really track because there was no blood anywhere) for 400yards , that was a pain cause the deer died in the middle of a knee deep creek, and i got it because my brother had to leave, for a couple hours to go do something and he would have been back later but i didnt have anything else to do so i wandered for 6 hours trying to find that deer

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-25-2002, 09:14 AM

this will be my sixth year hunting. I have killed 2 deer. A buck and a doe.

The doe was vey large. I shot it with a 6mm. 80 grain bullet. It dropped in its tracks.

The buck i shot was with a 30-30, 150 grain bullet. It also dropped where it stood.

Both were remington corelockts.

I kinda wish i didn't pass up all the doe i have in the years. was always waiting for that big buck to come