Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me track

Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM

Default Help me track

I've been fortunate enough to not have to track my kills. They've all fallen on the spot or within eye sight. I'm looking for tips on how to track a deer, day time and night time.

Rob/PA, we've had this discussion whether you remember it or not.No need for you to post your preferred methods. If you don't remember, it's because it was flowing that night at the Legion.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me track

I always track by getting on the blood and staying on the blood. Now if the blood trail runs out try to stay with the tracks. If that's not possible then get as many people as you can and do a grid search.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

The best method I have found for tracking is to go slow and always mark the last place you see blood. I usually use my arrow as the marker. Try to get a couple people to help if its a tough tracking assignment, but the key is not to get ahead of yourself and to go slow. Some people rush ahead and there footsteps actually cover up the blood on accident. I have definately crawled to find blood and its paid off.Also when the blood stops makecircles around the last blood spotted, deer double back all the time(they dont alwaysrun in a straight line)If that doesnt work, I let my German Shorthair have a hand at it. Sometimes he can just smell the deer and go running to it.

Your lucky if you have never tracked a deer. Im always involved in at least one tufftracking job a year either for myself or friends and family.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

first thing i do is mark the point of impact. and the last place you saw him. Then mark first blood and slowly work the trail.
My grandfather taught me and his rule was always to slow down. Take a second and breath. you know you hit him now slow your heart rate down and open your eyes. if you lose the trail go back to the last place you found blood and start a grid.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

see above thread.....

Recovery, What To Do After the Shot.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look about 3" higher up on your screen & you have TONS of info right there.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: DoePeeSteve

I've been fortunate enough to not have to track my kills. They've all fallen on the spot or within eye sight. I'm looking for tips on how to track a deer, day time and night time.

Rob/PA, we've had this discussion whether you remember it or not.No need for you to post your preferred methods. If you don't remember, it's because it was flowing that night at the Legion.
Legion? I don't nor have ever gone to the Legion. Was that you at the Moose with Ben?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Thanks, didn't see that post.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Legion? I don't nor have ever gone to the Legion. Was that you at the Moose with Ben?
Ya, he was tall ugly guy, with the beautiful lady.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks, didn't see that post.
Ahhh the Moose it was! Wasn't 100% sure, just knew it was a place I have never been before. Like I said, the beer was flowing, at least it was for us that night (we had a few stops before the Moose that night).

As for the link posted. That's not entirely the information I wanted.I read somewhere a guy took glow sticks to mark the trail at night and hung them from the trees to makea trail. Great tip. Those are the things I was looking for. I've read somewhere about a different typesof glasses or bulbs that will bring out the color of blood at night. Anyone know what I'm speaking of (can't stop ending in a preposition...sorry)? Those kinds of tips.

Quick Reply: Help me track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.