Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
After the shot...HOW FAR did you track? >

After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

Old 11-23-2002, 10:56 AM

Default RE: After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

I shot my buck right through the heart with my 3006 and he ran 25 feet and dropped. Last year i shot one with my bow and arrow right trough the heart and he just stood there and bleed to death and fell over.
Old 11-23-2002, 05:18 PM

This is with either 30-06 150gr flat bullets or my .50 cal flintlock 320gr maxiballs:

When my shot hits high near the spine, the deer goes down in it's spot. A solid hit to the heart makes a mess all around the deer and it will try to drag itself maybe 5 yards. When it goes through just the lungs I have to walk maybe 40 yards after it. Only once did a buck start walking again as I pulled the trigger and the bullet connected under the mid section driving a piece of bone through just the skin ripping a 10 inch tear under the belly and that deer went almost 200 yards barely dripping blood with it's innards hanging out. As I tracked it, the buck jumped out and I gave it a finishing shot.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Five of the last six deer I have shot with it dropped. The one that didn`t, went 31 feet.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>I have to update this stat. I shot my second doe of the season last night and she dropped where she stood. Never knew what hit her. So I am now six of the last seven dropped.

--------------------
Be a steward of the resouce, not just a deer killer.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:35 PM

Over the last 13yrs I shot 25+ deer with my 30-06. Most of my bullets were 165gr hornady btsp, a few were with 165gr nosler ballistic tips. Most only went a few yards, 5 or less, there was one button buck that went about 100yrds, good clean heart shot, died mid stride. I've shot a few deer(4 I think) with a 44 rem mag and hornady XTP 240gr. 3 piled up within 5 yards or so, one ran about 300 yards. It was a good lung shot and an easy track. It looked like someone ran through the brush with 2 bloody 8&quot; paint brushes.

I did track a deer a friend shot for over 400yrds. Talk about a wierd shot. He shot at while it was quartering away. He hit it in the right side rump, the bullet travelled between the skin and the muscle and the exited out the right leg, breaking the leg.
Old 11-24-2002, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of the last 30 odd head of big game I had not had to track one as all died in sight less than 30 yards or so of being hit.Since I began using ballistic tips kills have all been very quick.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:02 PM

Just dropped one this morning. Only blood was where he, button buck), was standing. Ran 30 yds. down a lane and tuned into the brush. After 15 minutes, I went in, following the path of least obstacles. 200 yds. later i found him. Only a small amount of blood where he lay. 1/2in. entry, 2 1/2in. exit. The gun? .35 Whelen. First one I ever had to trail.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:29 PM

My Buck I killed this morning went 15 yards. 12 Guage with Rottweil Slug. I hit it in the front part of Shoulder...
Old 11-24-2002, 07:32 PM

Last year: 30-06, 150gr, Deer-75yrs, lung shot, tracked 50 yrds in dense folage.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-24-2002, 09:47 PM

Yesterday I spent 4+ hours tracking a wounded deer before losing it. This was an entirely new experience for me, since no deer I had ever shot or tracked went more than 100 yards before piling up.

This deer was hit while running. I waited 20 minutes before following its track in order to give it time to lay down and stiffen up. When I went to the spot where it was shot, it was clear that the deer was hit. Within 5 yards, it immediately began to gush blood on the newly fallen snow.

There was a lot of blood. It sprayed about as if it were arterial or lung-shot. I thought for the first 300 yards that I would find the dead deer in the next ten seconds, however this was not to be the case. After having tracked the deer for 800 yards, I felt sure that the deer was only yards in front of me.

At this point, I stopped. As a former soldier, I know that adrenaline can do amazing things for a wounded person or animal. I let another 15 minutes pass before resuming the hunt. This down time can be critical to allowing the weakness to overcome the animal. Then the deer began what became its pattern: it doubled back on its track.

This took me 10 minutes of broadening circles to figure out. The deer ran down a trail and then, when it hit an crossing trail, doubled back the way it came. After it had retraced its path for 25 yards, it took off another direction.

I followed the trail for what I figure to be around five miles. During that stretch, I spent many minutes in an area with a radius of 50 yards, searching for the odd fleck of blood to distinguish a track from the 5 overlying tracks. Eventually I followed every possible track 20-30 yards and only then found the odd drop of blood. At other times, I could see the trail for the next 30 yards.

After hitting the roughly five mile point, I began to be tracking across peoples' back yards. Plus I was fighting the loss of light. When the deer took me into the sixth evergreen forest (where the snow hadn't reached the ground, thus making tracking more difficult) I finally had to give up.

Today, we heard that someone had seen the deer dragging a back leg the evening before. If that is the case, then I am convinced that I should use a heavier rifle. The 25-35 I was using has killed many deer, however it does not knock the deer down. We all want humane kills. However, we also want to avoid spoiling meat. Thus I will switch to a 300 savage for the upcoming season.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:52 PM

Yesterday I spent 4+ hours tracking a wounded deer before losing it. This was an entirely new experience for me, since no deer I had ever shot or tracked went more than 100 yards before piling up.

This deer was hit while running. I waited 20 minutes before following its track in order to give it time to lay down and stiffen up. When I went to the spot where it was shot, it was clear that the deer was hit. Within 5 yards, it immediately began to gush blood on the newly fallen snow.

There was a lot of blood. It sprayed about as if it were arterial or lung-shot. I thought for the first 300 yards that I would find the dead deer in the next ten seconds, however this was not to be the case. After having tracked the deer for 800 yards, I felt sure that the deer was only yards in front of me.

At this point, I stopped. As a former soldier, I know that adrenaline can do amazing things for a wounded person or animal. I let another 15 minutes pass before resuming the hunt. This down time can be critical to allowing the weakness to overcome the animal. Then the deer began what became its pattern: it doubled back on its track.

This took me 10 minutes of broadening circles to figure out. The deer ran down a trail and then, when it hit an crossing trail, doubled back the way it came. After it had retraced its path for 25 yards, it took off another direction.

I followed the trail for what I figure to be around five miles. During that stretch, I spent many minutes in an area with a radius of 50 yards, searching for the odd fleck of blood to distinguish a track from the 5 overlying tracks. Eventually I followed every possible track 20-30 yards and only then found the odd drop of blood. At other times, I could see the trail for the next 30 yards.

After hitting the roughly five mile point, I began to be tracking across peoples' back yards. Plus I was fighting the loss of light. When the deer took me into the sixth evergreen forest (where the snow hadn't reached the ground, thus making tracking more difficult) I finally had to give up.

Today, we heard that someone had seen the deer dragging a back leg the evening before. If that is the case, then I am convinced that I should use a heavier rifle. The 25-35 I was using has killed many deer, however it does not knock the deer down. We all want humane kills. However, we also want to avoid spoiling meat. Thus I will switch to a 300 savage for the upcoming season.

Quick Reply: After the shot...HOW FAR did you track?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.