Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

baiting

Old 12-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: baiting

ORIGINAL: buckmine

Here in Texas its almost neccessary. Like up in the hill country or in the brush of south Texas. There are no planted crops, only dense woods, and were talking millions of acres of woods and you have a couple of hundred in a sea of woods.
So lets not hunt deer the old fashioned way by hard work........
That is an asumption that baiting isn't work or hard. Usually comes from those who have never actually baited or at least done successfully! Laying down the slop is anything but the end of the work when baiting is employed. The same amount of care, attention and work required to picking a spot to hang a stand is involved with where to place your bait. It requires scouting and knowledge of deer movements to be truly successful. Once the bait is placed it requires constant attention as well, Many who bait here spend far more time attending to the bait and in prep. than actually hunting over it. If the bait placement is done properly movements can be seen in legal hours, if not it is a colossal waste of time. Doing your homework and being able to pinpoint safety areas are paramount to success. Deer around bait are very wary so everything (wind, travel routes, etc)must be considered when using this technique. Hum sounds just like hunting in stand in transition areas to me. Misconception that you ring a bell and they come a running, well at least in my neck of the woods.

No I don'tpersonally bait, though I have bothas aguide for whitetails and bears and personally in the past. My reasons to not bait are b/c I hunt a lot of areas vs just 1. I like the mobility and not being hemmed to one area in regards to attention, scouting and hunting. Also the cost and time factor weighed in, I made trips to my baits every 2 days once they were established that amounts to a fair bit of input on my part during hunting season. I still spend far more hours in preparation than actually hunting just choose not to employ bait as one of my techniques at present. I may again in the future if it remains a legal practice here in Saskatchewan but it won't be b/c its easy.

As far as hating it but needing to do it?? I hunt an area that is heavily baited around it and have no troubles finding deer. Though like I said above it takes effort and prep to learn the pattern of the deer and then formulate a plan that willlead tosuccess. SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT and then SCOUT some more. With whitetail season in its final week here, you can bet your last dollar I will be putting in some boot time prior to christmas as the deer are still in rut patterns and that information is valuable to me for 2007', much more so then later a sthey yard up or worse yet they go into summer patterns. Basically with the close of one season the next one begins for me. Try it you might be suprised at what you'll find.

My couple pennies worth!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great Post - and all true.

Compared to a small food plot it's Alot of expense - "Boot Time" - how to - how much - when - where etc...

BTW - to all the "Wholier Than Thou's".

Many just jealous because its illegal where they hunt.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Texas its almost neccessary. Like up in the hill country or in the brush of south Texas. There are no planted crops, only dense woods, and were talking millions of acres of woods and you have a couple of hundred in a sea of woods.
Buwahahahahaha !

Never been to SouthTexas huh ? You cant even scout most areas. The brush is thick, really really really thick ! Solid thorns. You cant just walk through it. You have no idea what I am talking about. We have to bulldose the brush down to get a shooting lane,( sendero)a place just to walk through,we put up a stand and feed the sendero and hope to get one crossing and stopped long enough to get a shot. Theres NO scouting, no glassing, no patterns, no planted crops.
You really are narrow minded.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Buwahahahahaha !

Never been to SouthTexas huh ? You cant even scout most areas. The brush is thick, really really really thick ! Solid thorns. You cant just walk through it. You have no idea what I am talking about. We have to bulldose the brush down to get a shooting lane,( sendero)a place just to walk through,we put up a stand and feed the sendero and hope to get one crossing and stopped long enough to get a shot. Theres NO scouting, no glassing, no patterns, no planted crops.
You really are narrow minded.

That pretty much sums it up here in south Texas.

best of luck