Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt block

Old 11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Salt block

I set out a small sweet acorn salt block the beginning of the season and as of a week ago it has been untouched. Well I have stayed away from the area to let it sit for a while until our second season opens and I happened to be on the quad yesterday and rode up there and stopped by the salt block to see if I could see any siigns of it being messed with. It looks to be untouches but, a 4 inch wide area about halfway around it is dug about 3 inches down in the ground. So it now looks like it is sitting on a pedestal on the ground, I mean the ground is dug out right up against it.

Do the deer lick the block or will the lick the crap out of the ground around it. I have heard the like the dirt because of the minerals in it but I kinda figured they would lick the block also. Any ideas?
Brandon
Old 11-28-2006, 08:51 PM

Default RE: Salt block

They will eat around it ,but this is not the time of year to see a lot of action around the salt .The deer use it mostly in the spring time and early summer .
Old 11-28-2006, 08:52 PM

they might be licking the sides...
also, I had one out for a month and it went untouched. so I put on a rubber glove and diped it in a little streem to get any scent I might have gotten on it when i put it out...next week went out and it was 1/4 gone.
might be worth a try.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

So you would guess it is the deer doing that though? I just expected the block to be licked but I have never put one out before so I wasn't sure. Really, the main reason I put it out there was for a marker for me, it was a 15 yard mark since I am new to bow hunting and didn't want to just guess my yardage so I used that. Figured I would get a few uses out of it.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done the same, put them out at known distances, if they get hit good, if not oh well.
I haven't noticed any real action around minerals that I've put out, sure they get hit, but they have never produced a big buck for me.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: yakuza wiz

they might be licking the sides...
also, I had one out for a month and it went untouched. so I put on a rubber glove and diped it in a little streem to get any scent I might have gotten on it when i put it out...next week went out and it was 1/4 gone.
might be worth a try.
I thought about that when I was going to check it and when I saw the way it was I figured I would leave it till I got some advice. We got a good rain this morning and is supposed to storm tomorrow so any scent from me should be gone. It was in a plastic wrapper and I let it slide out the wrapper and fall where it is now to also keep my scent off it when I put it out. I wanted to check for tracks but there was too many leaves on the ground and I didn't want to disturb them too much.