Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt Block

Old 05-18-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Salt Block

I need to know would i put the salt block in the same place or should i put in the different lotation ,
it's wallow and big hole ,deer are coming at it ,i need to put another one in ,it 's gone from last year ,so what is the best way to do it ?

Thanks
OU812
Old 05-18-2005, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Salt Block

I've been putting my salt block at the same place for 8 years now. I put one of those great big salt blocks you get at a farmer's coop. They last for about 2 years. And they're much cheaper than the "specialty" deer salt... (I use the red colored salt block)

During the winter, the deer are yarding quite a distance from my spot and no tracks are visible in the snow in the general area where I hunt, EXCEPT for several tracks leading right to my salt block and turning back from where they came from once they got their salt. They travel a great distance just to lick the block, regularly. I guess my point is, once they know they have a source of salt in a particular area, they can count on it beeing there all the time, keeping them coming over and over, year round. Which is why you want to put a salt block in the first place.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the info
now i'm planning to put in same place .
Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think i'm going to put a couple out up in kentucky. we had a few out a few years back but haven't replaced them.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are just gonna use one I would put it back in the same spot.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:57 PM

we just buy some bulk stuff from the feed co-op. Red rocky looking stuff. Put them out in the same spots. We don't hunt directly over them, but they seem to draw some deer in and also they're extremely good spots to put out trail cameras during the summer, we got alot of shots of bucks last year at the salt lick.

slayer
Old 05-18-2005, 05:36 PM

We dont use salt blocks here. We just put a 5 lb Boars head Baloney on a tree stump and tether it down with bungee cords. The deer go FREAKING nuts for it!

Old 05-21-2005, 08:21 AM

Keep it in the same spot oh and Furync they dont last 2 yrs, I bought a 50lb block and it was gone in 6 mths. If you have a good hole and it rains the rain will melt it away pretty fast, but the salt will stay in the ground.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:28 AM

I try to put mine away from trees, I've heard they can kill trees.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:11 AM

Yeah I put some loose salt under a tree and it damn near killed it. It took half the summer to recoup.

Quick Reply: Salt Block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.