Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

salt block????????? HELP

Old 10-16-2002, 09:22 PM

Default salt block????????? HELP

How long will a 25lb block last out in the field? 3 months or 6 months
Old 10-16-2002, 10:47 PM

Default RE: salt block????????? HELP

I would have to say closer to a year.But here in IL they put a ban on salt and mineral blocks.So we had to pull them from the field till its lifted.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will second what carpetguy said. And you being from north of us, you might want to check your regs up there. They may have put in the same ban on salt blocks or any type of baiting.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 10-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had a 5lber and it was gone in about a month...but i also had corn down so deer were really hitting it hard...and it rained a few times during that month so that helped desolve it but it was normal rain nothin marjor that isnt normal...i wouldnt think a 25lb would last much more than 6 months or so...less its really dry and deer dont touch it...i set it out one evening and came back the next afternoon and i could see where a deer licked on the edge of mine..all depends really...it could be gone in a month if it rains constantly...
Old 10-17-2002, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I put a mineral block out about every 6 months behind the house. There is plenty of water close by as well as browse for them. Rain really washes them down bad and probably makes a big difference in how long they last.

Old 10-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

50lb block,six months.Deer really need them in the spring and summer months.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 10-18-2002, 09:48 AM

we have put out 3 25lb blocks in one spot so far this year, the rain does wash it off, but in our spot the block is set on a stump and the deer have torn up the ground around the stump, well more than torn it up the deer have dug a little 6 inch deep trench around the stump

propmahn
you can never have too many guns
Old 10-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

With CWD and tuberculosis threatening deer and elk in many states, no one should be baiting, feeding or using deer atractants like suckers, salt, or mineral piles anymore, unless they are absolutely sure no other deer will be using the same site, and unless they are absolutely sure none of the deer in the area have anything contagious. Most northern and western states are now banning baiting and feeding, because any time you have numerous deer coming in to one area on a regular basis, there is a chance of spreading disease.

That being said, salt is an attractant, and does the deer no good. If you put out salt, give it to the deer in the form of minerals, so they get what they need. Also, because deer can't chew with their front teeth, they can't use salt/mineral blocks effectively. You're better off giving them granulated minerals and pouring it on the ground. How long it lasts depends on rain fall, and how many other animals (deer, raccoon, skunk, opossum) use the area. 6 mos to a year.

If you have other questions post a new question here addressed to T.R., or e-mail me.

Look for my up-comimg articles in the e magazine.

Commit a random act of kindness, and blame it on God.

T.R. Michels, writer, speaker
Trinity Mountain Outdoors
[email protected]

Edited by - trmichels on 10/18/2002 11:07:13
Old 10-18-2002, 10:09 AM

As usual TR you are right on. Have also heard that the ones for nursing cows are very appropriate.

"Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!" [/quote]