Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Growing antlers.

Old 11-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Growing antlers.

Do any of you put out mineral or supplement for the deer for antler growth. I have seen stuff at Wally World supposedly for this, but it is a lot of money for very little and it doesn't seem to have anything in it special. I have put protein blocks out for deer before and they ignore it. Any ideas?

One reason I am asking is that it seems that in some areas around here bucks tend to have larger antlers than others. On my property, I have gotten some pretty nice deer, but most of them are straight eights. I have gotten some pictures of some tens that are really nice, but no drop tines or anything like that.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Growing antlers.

Idon't buy into those "monster rack" formulas. A deers genetics determine the rack potential. Think of it this way, a human is what he/she is because of genetics. No matter how good of protein or diet you give a short person they will still be short.

NowI do agree that if the deer in your area have genetics that would allow for monster racks and there is a lack of protein/food/water that they will be smaller than normal.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Growing antlers.

I raise sheep and I use loose mineral for them. Sheep can't tolerate much copper, so it takes special mineral. I wonder if deer are the same way. I thought I might try some of that. It would be relatively cheap compared to the junk they try to sell for growing racks and it actually has a lot of stuff in it.