Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Antlers are growing >

Antlers are growing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Antlers are growing

Old 05-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Antlers are growing

I' ve gone out the past couple nights to check on the deer herd. Lordy there' s a lot of them out there. I guess Len didn' t shoot enough last year. Going to have to have a talk with him.[&:] Anyway, I was surprised at the extent of growth on some of the bucks. One huge bodied buck already has a fork with another branch starting to form on the big bulbs at the end. I saw 4 or 5 that had forked already or with big bulbs on the ends ready to. They sure have added some weight in the past couple weeks. I took a half hour drive and must have seen 40.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Antlers are growing

I was out cruising around my hunting area and noticed a buck with some nice little fuzzies developing. They were just beginning to fork but not quite. I was surprised as I usually do not start seeing them until closer to mid June.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 AM

Hey, I took a month off for my surgery and still took more than my share; and, the landowners are still complaining about too many deer. You' d think 24 in one season would help! [:@]

Dave, on the other hand, has been sliding on HIS responsibilities.[>:][&:] If he doesn' t pull his load, we' ll have to take some sort of action. How about covering him with doe pee during the rut??? Do you think he' d get the ' point' then?

I' ve seen quite a few bucks in pairs here recently. My son and I stopped 50 feet from two the other day. One already was already at least 12" wide and 10" tall with his 6 point rack. Looks like another banner year here in Maryland.
Old 05-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

I don' t have time to be shooting any deer. Just about the time I get settled in a tree Len calls and wants help guttin' and draggin' . What' s a guy suppose to do..... hunt or help his poor ole' crippled friend. Besides that.... I' m more into tonage than body count.[&:] I got my quota for the year. I promise not to let so many of them walk this year. I was standing there last night talking to one of our landlords. He said, yup, I' ve been seeing a lot of them. You guys got to shoot more. About that time two walked out across the lawn a couple hundred yards away. I got in the car to leave and looked down the hill and there' s 5 laying in the middle of a field they sprayed " total kill" on a couple weeks ago. The new corn is just peeking through(about 2 or 3 inches) I guess they had glutted out and were resting. Len wants me to shoot more so he can sell more arrows.[]
Old 05-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

I am going to get my trailcam out into the woods within the next month and try to get some velvet on tape!
Old 05-29-2003, 05:50 PM
Spike

Sunday evening I seen a big buck that had about 12 inches of antlers growing standing beside I-95. I almost when home and got the bow, but it was in the press waiting for me to put a new string on her........I can' t wait until the season opens.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:00 PM

Hey, Bud. You know I will never forget the guttin' and draggin' that you did for me. Some day I' ll return the favor; but, don' t hold your breath.[>:]

Don' t ' hunting buddies' get along great?[&:] We argue like this often and the jabs are just part of the fun. I just watch ' hunting buddies' coming into the shop and just about every pair does the same thing. If they weren' t able to raze each other, it would be a dull world.

Saw another nice buck crossing the field tonight about a mile from my house and an hour before dark. It is VERY unusual to see this many deer so close to my house. In fact, we' ve seen about 6 deer killed by cars from my house to the shop in the past several weeks. We' ve never seen this before, let alone this time of year.

Somethings going on that' s a lot different than past years.[]
Old 05-30-2003, 04:38 PM
Banned

Yeah i went out last night and saw a buck with antlers about 3 inches high. They are just now starting but they are getting started. I cant wait for season to start.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where are the pics?
Len, good to see you more often again, are you going to make the get together, someone has to be there to keep David in line.[>:]
Old 05-30-2003, 07:41 PM

Saw a BIG boy tonight in the field across from the local High School. My son and I looked at him for 5 minutes. His rack was already WELL past his ears and had six points with large bulbs at the end. This guy is going to be a bruiser and is living well right in the middle of a community. What could be safer for him than living across the street from a school complex? [:' (] We also saw 3 bucks in a horse pasture that' s owned by a friend down the road. They were standing right out in the open. Why not - no one can hunt there! [:@] Down the road a little futher we saw two does feeding. It was quite obvious that one was ready to drop her fawns.

Man, is it ever going to be a great year! And to think that I may have been dead by now if I hadn' t gone in for a routine physical last summer.[&o] I' ve already scheduled a physical for this summer. Don' t forget yours!

What get-together???[]

Quick Reply: Antlers are growing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.