Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anyone know a good way to attract deer? >

Anyone know a good way to attract deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone know a good way to attract deer?

Old 11-20-2002, 09:57 PM

Default Anyone know a good way to attract deer?

i hunt on several properties and have harvested some good size deer. I was wondering anyone know some good ways to attract more deer. I only see deer on windless, and hazy mornings. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
jere
Old 11-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anyone know a good way to attract deer?

A little vague, more details would be better.

Can you legally bait or feed? (if so here's one way)
Locate spots that are in transition areas near bedding, but not to close.
Find scraps or rublines
Locate draws, funnels, bottlenecks...natural travel routes for deer.
Use of scents during breeding stages. (estrus,etc)
Decoy
Calling
Rattling and grunting

Old 11-20-2002, 10:30 PM

thanks i appreciate it, i mean i hunt bucks and does, but i have tried grunts and no success. i got a primus doe bleat. was thinking about using it. any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2002, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

When the rut hits, get out the horns and start rattling. Rattle for about 30 sec. to a min.. Wait and watch for about 30min to an hour and then rattle agian. At the first of the rut rattle lightly and not very long. As the rut gets to going good rattle harder and stomp the ground once or twice. Rake your horns in the brush a little and watch what comes in.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have put out apples (about 8 works great--break them open, scrape a few on trees to get scent in the air) and had deer eating them within an hour A LOT OF TIMES, without putting some out in any days or weeks leading up to the hunt. In fact, just about two weeks ago, I had a doe and two fawns going through about 80 yards away. They smelled the apples and came right in. I wouldn't bait except when acorns aren't around, because all my neighbors bait and I have to compete in those situations to see deer.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Food plots, feeders, water, good cover.... you might even look at the tampon post here.lol I still cant beleave it.
Rick

Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:57 PM
jjt

you might read the thread (Tampon Note Again? How To?)
i just did and still at a loss of words
Old 11-22-2002, 05:59 AM

Build a nice deer house where then can get out of the bad weather. find an atractive doe to keep in there, she has got to look hot, shes also got to have the right attitude she can't be one of these stuck up type. Set up a nice table with food and comfortable lighting. Put in a tv with a vcr so they can watch bambi. make some nice hay beds and other furniture. Have the paper boy deliver the morning paper just in case you end up with those real smart type. Don't forget to take them some coffee in the morning just to help them get going. This is how santa did it hope it works for you. When you start delivering presents don't foget who told you what to do. I'll send you my wish list.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I never have put faith in a grunt tube and calling deer out of the unknown. What I am saying as sitting and blowing just doesn't seem to work by itself. I assimulate calling deer mush the same as calling geese or ducks...you just don't toot on the call and they come. You must be in the right spot and have visual or for deer at least know they are their. Rattling is by far the way to bring unknown out..with the cohoots of the grunt or bleat...absolutely deadly. The keys to calling deer are area and know where the deer are and coming from. Sitting on any trail and calling won't work. You have to be in a comfort zone for the deer, transition areas, bedding areas, etc. Know your wind and use it. Once you have accomplished this, you are set to go with calls, scents and the horns.
Like mentioned when rattling the keys are start off soft and short. Add as much realism to the sequence as you can, rustle leaves, rack trees, pound on the ground and grunt at the end of your sequence. Keep on it, you never know when he'll appear...20 mins wait is min. but 30 min wait is the max. You may have a deer working its way only to get side tracked and loose interest. I like to throw in at half intervals 2-3 soft toned grunts. If I am using scents or near scrapes I will use a tending grunt to mix it up a bit. If you hear an agrressive buck grunting and thrashing don't be affaraid to egg him on with a low toned drawn out semi agressive grunt. Oh they don't do this, well if you are in the right area and have a dominant buck...you bet your left cheek they do. On the flip side if you are real aggressive and have a smaller buck working the area to you...you'll send him high tailing. So thus you must first off be very gentle and then listen to what the deer is telling you. If he is knit picking his way to you, stopping at every snap he isn't very comfortable and is more than likely not the dominant buck in the area...last thing he wants is get his @ss wiped...AGAIN. If he is trashin, grunting and coming hard then he knows he is the man or at the very least has a chance. Believe me they do talk and it is many different ways...the only way to learn is get dirty. I p'd off many bucks by being not attentive to what they were telling me...but through patienc and persistance I have grown to really love calling deer and have taken or helped taken many a buck with the horns and tube. Hey not only will it make you feel great, successful, but it will make you one heck of great hunter, who can truly realize that he just stepped into the haven!!!!!!!!!

You guys bust mny gut with that tampon thing...I agree no soiled cotton ponies for this guy...yuk. But I will tell you the unused, regular unscented ones make a great and cheap scent wick. I did have to get over my fear of even touching them and took the ribbing at deer camp in stride. (hey guess what now everybody wants to pack the PONS...so who's laughing now)

Old 11-22-2002, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh i forgot on those hazy, cloudy, days i have found rattling works really well any time when the rut is on. On the sunny blue bird days, early and late...not scientific but for whatever reason they just seem to appear more readily on them low ceiling or dark times. Up here if i get a day that is light dust snowing I am so on the horns...just love seeing them with that snow cap on their nose!

I like to use a 4x4 set of cut horns from a 130 class buck as well. I leave on the brow tines to tuck in my belt when walking, grip and racking. I also have a heavy set of 5x5 from 150 class but they never work as well, except when i am after Mulies. My one buddy uses a rattling bag and has called out several bucks..but I say if you have some real then use them they are free and will help in the racking,etc. (IMO they work better, but thats me)

Good Luck!