Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 12 gauge to 20 gauge....your opinion >

12 gauge to 20 gauge....your opinion

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

12 gauge to 20 gauge....your opinion

Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 12 gauge to 20 gauge....your opinion

I am seriously thinking of switching from 12 to 20. Is it more accurate?

I am not wanting to shoot through brush and I do not intend to shoot a running deer. Also not into long range shooting unless I use a rifle. Probably nothing over 80 yards. Enjoy my bowhunting and would rather shoot a deer during gun season with a shotgun as if I was bowhunting. Basically one good shot. My reason is the number of misses I have with my shotgun. When I rifled hunt up in northern MN I only needed one good shot. With my 12 gauge I cannot seem to hit the deer and it is frustrating.

Thanks to all replies, Mike
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM

Default RE: 12 gauge to 20 gauge....your opinion

I personally use a 20 a gauge 2 3/4". I love it. Ithica Deer Slayer 2 , Rifled barrell, 2 3/4 or 3". Redfeild scope.
I do awsome with it. Shot 3 deer. A Doe at 100 yards Another Doe at 50 yards And a buck at 60. All shot placements were whereI aimed. I also us Hornady SST Slugs. There Awsome. I found the slug in my buck and it mushrooms very nice.

Cory
Old 11-27-2006, 02:07 PM

Depends on what you are talking about. If you are talking about a dedicated slug gun with a rifled barrel and modern sabot bullets then yes they are pretty good. More than enough to kill deer at 100 or so yards.

Are they more accurate? Well that is a subjective thing, I have seen some pretty accurate 12 gauges. However the twist rates in the newer 20 gauges seem to be better matched to the ammo they are using so your chances of finding a load your gun likes are probably better. The new 20 ga ammo is right on par with using an inline muzzle loader, maybe a bit better. They shoot the same bullets at simular velocities with the same barrel twist rates.

Now if you are talking smoothbore with rifles slugs I would stick with a 12 ga. The only thing a 20 ga will offer you is a bit less recoil. However you will have less power, a smaller slug and less range most likely. Accuracy might be better, then again it might be worse.

Just my opinions anyway.

Paul
Old 11-27-2006, 02:52 PM

I personally use a 20 ga with a rifled slug barrel but thats partly because i have been hunting since i was little and needed something i can handle but my 20 shoots really tight groups and i just took a buck last Friday with it at 80 yards. I think i might move up to a 12 gabecause i can get it shooting really tight groups easily with our vice. I think you could go either way.

Trophy Taker
Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM

You might want to take a good look at why you're not hitting with the 12. What kind of sights are you using? Under what conditions are you missing? Is there a difference in your hits at the range v. in the field? Also, have you tried different barrels? I bought a brand new rifled barrel for one of our Remingtons a couple of years ago and couldn't hit crap with it. That was a 20. I was out of the bull at 75 yards, a range I routinely nail with a 12.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

overall, use what you're comfortable with. i have shot alot of deer with both my mossberg 20 gauge and my 12 gauge ithaca. both with slugs and buckshot. depeneds on what you prefer. my 12 gauge is my primary gun, b/c i rarely have a chance to shoot over 60 yards, so i dont care about bullet drop.

some people drive gas trucks, some prefer diesels... same difference.