Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NC game warden Q...

Old 11-25-2006, 09:08 PM

Default NC game warden Q...

I have a couple of questions about the NC regulations. I did read them at www.ncwildlife.org, but some things are still unanswered.

I found out today that I need a hunting license even though I hunt our own private land. I took a deer last Saturday and tried to register the harvest online and apparently it never went through. So the warden was out here talking to me. I have lived here 5 years and never had any problems, until now.

I am guessing some neighboring hunter must have seen me harvest my "monster" last week and gotten jelous.

My question is: How long after I killed a deer and packaged it up can they issue tickets for not reporting it? He came out 7 days after the fact that the deer was killed, ate and pooped out (so essentially, I was not in possesion of an animal at the time of ticket issuance). I did try to register the harvest using their online system. He also told me I need to be wearing blaze orange, as I thought it was optional in NC.

Anyway, it's just a matter of showing that I bought a hunting license and showing them the authorization number.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:17 AM

Default RE: NC game warden Q...

All you need to know is in the regultaion guide get one any where hunting license is sold.When you buy a hunt lic you will be given a WRC customer # you will use this number when regersting a kill.You must wear a blaze orange hat.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Warden can come check your freezer whenever he wants...When you call in a kill, you are given an authorization number, this number tracks that kill and to legally possess a carcass you must keep this number...
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

ir655,

I'm not one to say much, but you must know your states' regs., period, before hunting or fishing.

If it's like here in GA., they put a free copy of the basic regs. in every store that sells hunting and fishing license.

dog1
Old 11-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

they do dog and i have always found it easier to register the deer through 1-800-igot-one
Old 11-26-2006, 01:32 PM

I think you were lucky only being cited for not reporting the harvesting of a deer. If I read your post correctly you did not have a valid hunting license when you shot the animal. Free ranging game animals such as deer are the property of the state, notwhoever'sland they happen to be on at any particular time. Therefore, you need a license to hunt the state's deer,even on your own property.

Caldoc
Old 11-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Californiadoctor

I think you were lucky only being cited for not reporting the harvesting of a deer. If I read your post correctly you did not have a valid hunting license when you shot the animal. Free ranging game animals such as deer are the property of the state, notwhoever'sland they happen to be on at any particular time. Therefore, you need a license to hunt the state's deer,even on your own property.

Caldoc

yes i also agree and too an extent if you did not have a hunting license you where essentially poaching. but if you did have a license the game warden had no cause for issuing you a ticket.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Exceptions to License Requirements
General

A youth under age 16 accompanied by a properly licensed adult
may enjoy those privileges conveyed by the licenses held by the
accompanying adult.

A youth under age 16 who possesses the appropriate license or
licenses of a parent or guardian may exercise all privileges
conveyed by the license(s) held.

A landowner or person leasing land primarily for cultivation,
their spouse, and dependents under 18 residing with them,
may hunt, trap and fish on such land without a license.
Individuals exempt from the requirements of a hunting license must
possess on his person a certificate of completion of a hunter safety
course if hunting and must obtain a “Big Game Harvest Report Card”
from the Wildlife Resources Commission or a wildlife service agent,
at no charge, when exercising the privileges of big game hunting.
Plant a Crop or something.. LMAO