Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 If You Were A Game Warden, Would You..... >

If You Were A Game Warden, Would You.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If You Were A Game Warden, Would You.....

Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If You Were A Game Warden, Would You.....

allow some forms of poaching?

Davidmil' s thread on " Your Hunting Roots" post inspired this question, one I' ve had a long time.

I wanted to be a conservation officer, even took the test but failed (had to have 100/100, I got 99). I didn' t bother in retaking the test because I was afraid I would be somewhat of a hypocrite doing this line of work. I used to live in a poor county of MI where my neighbor had a not so good job, 4 kids, and a stay home wife. He poached all season killing several deer a year. He would take one with a gun license, but the rest were illegal. However, he fed his family on these deer and honestly needed the meat as he was too proud to go on welfare and get foodstamps. I would be hard pressed to arrest a guy like this. In fact, I would look the other way.

Odd question I know, but really curious about your opinions on this.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: If You Were A Game Warden, Would You.....

I don' t know if they would or should feel like letting someone walk now days. If someone wants to work, in most cases they can find something. It might not be real glamorous, but it would feed you. With the cost of things today I think a guy would have to swallow his pride and take the foodstamps to feed his family if that' s all there was. Now a guy living in the boonies with no chance of work around, well, he can feed them without getting caught. It' s impossible for todays wardens to separate fact from fiction. I' m sure it would be a case by case thing and really... who knows. The warden has to do what he' s got to do and let the courts sort it out if the warden doesn' t want to make the choice. I think if he knew the people and any unusual circumstances... well ... whatever he wants to do. The 50s were a different time in a different country. The country had just gone through 2 wars, unemployment was horrendous etc.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree with David on this one. It depends on the individual situation in my book. I wish the world was as " black and white" as some folks make it out to be but it really isn' t.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 PM

I would on a case by case sitution. There are people that poach around here and some of them need and use the meat. I would never effect them. The " Early Season Horn Hunters" are the ones that I would like to hang by the nuts!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:55 PM

bob, in what state were u testing in? i want to become a conservation officer and i am trying to get all the info i need. did u take any college classes for this also, thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:55 PM

Hmmm...? I think if that were me and things were tough and I had to feed my family, I' d take deer illegally in order to feed my family. That is, if I lived on the farm and the deer were on my property and no one else lived close by, I' d drop a few deer, make some steaks and roasts, etc. It' s a tough call and you' d think this sort of thing would have gone away in the 1900s, but I am sure some people in extreme rural areas have no choice.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

who_else: This was in Michigan. I didn' t take a class, just asked around as to what the test would be like. Here in MI, it' s the same test the state troopers take prior to getting in. There were a lot of observation questions on there - they would show a fake crime seen for 30 seconds, then you' d have to answer a bunch of questions about what was in the scene. Most questions were common sense and really psycological in nature to make sure you weren' t nuts I guess.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:25 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Before I would allow my family to starve, I would kill you, skin you and fire up the grill. The big difference here is do they have any other choices. You just said he did. Public assistance was available. That' s a tough call, but they call it " conditional enforcement" . You can' t possibly enforce evvery law 100% of the time. You have to make judgement calls.

David
Old 11-18-2003, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would kick my own butt for being a total butthead like 99% of game wardens are.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:05 PM

as long as he didnt run dogs or spotlight i wouldnt say much as long as hedidnt take more than his limit on all seasons like if you can kill 2 w/ bow and 2 w/ gun and 2 w/ muzzle and he just killed 6 a year i wouldnt say a thing about it to him as long as i got some backstrap outta the deal

Quick Reply: If You Were A Game Warden, Would You.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.