Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 My run in with a game warden >

My run in with a game warden

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

My run in with a game warden

Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Default My run in with a game warden

Out where i hunt (information will be withheld because i usually do pretty good. so far averaging about 5 birds a trip.) legally you need a boat or some other means that floats down a canal. I have no boat and have been walking in for about 10 trips and never ran into a game warden. BUt on saturday last weekend he came out and was talkin to these other hunters that were jerks btw and i figured it was a game warden. several things ran through my head 1. take off and leave my brand new decoys and my dads roto duck 2. wait and see if they even notice me so i would keep quite. 3. just pray for the best meaning no ticket. so i kept with the 2nd choice seeming it be the most logical and smartest. HE came up and beached his little inflatable caneo and walked over to me. he knew who i was because i had done a ride along with him just a week or 2 before. he asked where my boat was i told i didnt have one. so he was like your trespassing and you want to be a game warden. so i told i would never do it again and he never checked me or any of my gear. but they were cool about it. they didnt care when i asked them if they would mind if i shot at these teal on which i did a double. if more game wardens were like this one more people would be happy to see them around and doing their job and keeping evrybody in check. Now i go hunting in a fishing float tube with a blaze orange back. thank god for camo netting and my jacket
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My run in with a game warden

From my experiences CO's are great to deal with in Waterfowl hunting scenarios.....
Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM

man...around here we have DEC all up in our a**...every time we go in the blind some guys checkin us out with binoculars and were like who is this joker....so were just sitting there and this guys comes up to our blind after we shot a couple of mergansers that buzzed the rig...so anyway he comes up and sttarts talkin to us, checks us and looks at the birds. "how do you know who's bird is who's?" thats what he says...well in the end he was all up in our face about marking birds and what now and i could have limited out on black duck and mallard by the time he was gone. And what do you know, we dont see anything else when he leaves....but whatever, i guess hes just doing his job
Old 12-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Good thing the game warden was cool. I have had experience with game wardens with very bad discretion so I normally dread it when I see one coming. I would like to seen more cool game wardens with good discretion to change the general public opinion about them being ball busters.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around my area
Most of the State wardens are OK
Not that they will let you slide on anything big
But they not bust your balls for leaving yourliscense in the truck or other simple things

Also they normaly let us keep shooting as they check our guns/ shells one at a time

After they check you 1 or 2 times , a lot of times they will wave and go to the next guy

But we also get Federal wardens checking us out , especaly when we hunt next to a Federal Refuge
They tend to be real pricks with big chips on their shoulders

Last week one was ready to right me up for shooting a unpluged gun
Because I shot 4 times real fast , or at least he thought so
But when he figured out I had a O/U , he got a little red faced and didn't even check my shells

As for all the ducks in 1 pile
They warn us 1 time and then write tickets
As a combined limmit is a NO No , 1 black per guy
That way I don't shoot 3 and claim the other 2 where shot by freinds

Shoot when we are goose hunting
They watch us to make sure I don't over bag and shoot your geese

John
Old 12-12-2007, 02:01 PM

Maybe consider following the rules the first time and then you have nothing to worry about. I don't really think the rules say you get one "Sorry, I'll never do it again." free pass.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in MI you mess up you lose HUNTING AND FISHING for three years, I try hard NEVER to screw up!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Out here in the last 25 yrs I only know of 2 wardens that were bad they turned about 6 deer upside down looking for illegal chucker because they saw a few feathers in 1 in a canyon that has about 200 breeding chucker every summer . All the others have been just awsome . I and 2 friends were out I had for gotten to sign my stamps he gave me his nasa pen and checked the others first counted our birds and cleared up the aggregate ruleand sent us on our way . During an antalope hunt another GW checked my license my tag my gun and I never got out of the truck.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have only been checked by a game warden once in 38 years of hunting and it was the year before last. I was out kicking brush for rabbits and he checked me for my license. If he wanted to be a jerk, he could have nailed me for not having written permission to be on the land, but he didn't even bring it up. Where I hunt, you generally see them out and about mostly during the gun deer season.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

There is a DEC officer that we always run into, and his name is Richard Head. I always get a laugh out of that.

Quick Reply: My run in with a game warden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.