Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Guy tried climbing in my stand >

Guy tried climbing in my stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Guy tried climbing in my stand

Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Guy tried climbing in my stand

I don't bow hunt less than 200 yds from one of our borders anymore (2400 ft long - not a small border!) - Its ALWAYS a problem. I dread asking permission to get a hit deer on the neighboring property - (all the other neighbors are cool) but I do all I can to avoid having a deer die over the line on this border.

Maybe you should hunt in on your property a little more?

FH

Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 PM

If I were you I'd be moving that stand(assuming it's a portable stand) because that guy is likely to come back when your not, and I wouldn't surprised if it were gone the next time your out to hunt that stand. Three years ago a similar thing happen't to me. I was hunting on my grandfathers property one evening and this dude walked up to my stand and asked me why I was in his buddy's stand. I replied to him that it was my stand and pointed out my name engraved on the bottom of the platform. He then told me his buddy had pointed him in the direction of the stand, so I asked who his buddy was and he told me that was none of my business. So doing the smart thing and trying not to piss him off since his supposed buddy already appeared be have done that I told him of a good spot to set up on the ground and to just go ahead and enjoy the evening hunt. He thanked me for not being to upset with him, and politely moved on towards the area I had directed him to. When I got down out of my stand that evening I caugt up with guy along with my dad and we informed him that his buddy didn't actually have permission on the property since only family had permission. It's been that way for years and it's still that way. He apologized for the whole thing, and moments later a truck pulled up and he left. Everything seemed ok, but the next morning I went out for a morning hunt and my stand was gone. Apparently he had left and came back with some bolt cutter because I always chain and lock my stands in. The guy never showed up or was heard from again, untill last year when my uncle and his two boys found the guy setting a stand up in the woods again. Unfortunately it wasn't the one that got stolen, but he was arrested for trespassing none the less. Anyhow I would suggest moving that stand for a while.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: farm hunter

I don't bow hunt less than 200 yds from one of our borders anymore (2400 ft long - not a small border!) - Its ALWAYS a problem. I dread asking permission to get a hit deer on the neighboring property - (all the other neighbors are cool) but I do all I can to avoid having a deer die over the line on this border.

Maybe you should hunt in on your property a little more?

FH

Yeah I have thought of that but the only good place to hunt on our property is in the trees on the fence row (where I am at)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You already have a jerk for a neighbor. He sounds just like my brother in law who owns a lot of land in PA. His idea of hunting is to drive his truck into a field and stick his .243 out the window. Then he has the nerve to tell me that whitetail hunting is not challenging for him anymore. I told him to get out of the truck and try to kill one with a bow if he wanted a challenge. Some people just don't get it!
Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 AM

I had a situation like that last year were a guy was in my stand when I got there. I got out there late one morning and starting making niose without yelling to get him to notice me and not shot me. I didnt want the guy to mistake me talking loud or yelling for being angry. I kept my distance until i was pretty sure he wasnt going to shot me. I told him that he wasnt supposed to be in that stand because it was on my dad property and that was the only stand I had. Its a small 3 acres surrounded by my great uncle's property so I'm used to having people coming on there not knowing they dont have permission. The guy was kinda pissed, but I didnt care. I'm not really sure if he had permission to be on my GU land. He gave the normal my friend said I could hunt here excuse. It worries me about these kinda of people. I guess he didnt hear or see me walking in or he was hoping I would turn and go the other way. I figured the hunting wasnt going to be good after that but I just wanted to sit out in the field and relax.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

If I had another place to put the stand I would...but that is seriously the only tree that I can put it in on our property- It is a 2 man ladder stand- Ill be mad if it is gone because I just spend $150 on it- I know where the owner of the other property lives so if he wants to be a jerk some more I have no problem calling the police...I should anyway for him driving up to me when he knew I was there- that send me off the roof.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ignorant people SUCK!!!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

To start with, why should a landowner let trespassers dictate what they can do on their own land? I control what goes on on my land. I can't control what goes on on the other side of the fence. I would suggest hiding an IR cam pointing at the stand in case someone tries to steal it. That way you can catch them red handed. I try to get along with my neighbors and for the most part I do, but you can't always please everyone. I would also put a bug in the CO's ear about mixing alcohol & hunting along with the trespassing. I carry a camera phone & a digital camera with me when I am out. They come in handy. Last yr I made pic's of lic. plates beats writing things down.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:08 PM

I think I would make sure I have a good lock on my tree stand were I you. I mean heavy chain not a cable because if he trespasses and drinks while he hunts and displays the type of attitude you described It doesn't sound like he would have a problem taking your $150.00 stand home with him either.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

If I were you I'd move my stand. I had a similar situation last year. I left my stand where it was for afew days and next thing I know I'm walking in to a stand that isn't there. Move your stand.

Quick Reply: Guy tried climbing in my stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.