Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad taste in my mouth

Old 11-01-2006, 10:55 PM

Default Bad taste in my mouth

This morning I missed a Big buck. I tried to explain to my wife the feeling of missing a buck. Of course she laughs. There is nothing worse, than watching a big buck chase a doe, then step right into my shooting lane, then me shoot premature. No excuse its all my fault. The quote, "sometimes you get the deer, something the deer get you." Well today the deer got me............I almost threw my bow off the tree stand. Then I thought itsnot the bows fault.
Even worse, My three year boy is making front of me for missing..
Old 11-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad taste in my mouth

Awww...It'll be alright. You'll get your chance to bag one just as big if not bigger. I've done the same thing...on a monster no less. He was moseying along, not a care in the world. I grunted to stop him and I wind up shooting the friggin' tree! I was so mad. He'd have gone 250 lbs easily. The broadhead is still in that tree. lol
Old 11-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: deerhunternj

There is nothing worse, than watching a big buck chase a doe, then step right into my shooting lane, then me shoot premature. No excuse its all my fault.
Next time keep both hands on your bow ...
Old 11-02-2006, 09:16 AM

HAHA. Happens to the best of us. You just gotta shake it off and laugh at yourself! Its all a part of the game! Ive missed my share of deer, and im sure that Ill miss again!!

What will really make it bad is if it is equipment failure rather than shooter error. I shot last year and missed. When I checked my scope, it was off mysteriously! Thats when it hurts the most!

Good Luck next time!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

What will really make it bad is if it is equipment failure rather than shooter error
Yeah I can attest to that aweful feeling, happened a few weeks ago missed a NT mule deer withthe ML. Didn't know how it was possible so I traded the field for the range and found my ML wouldn't hold a group. Assumed the scope as everything appeared good but found out one of my base screws sheered off. Replaced all 4 just to be safe and returned to find it back to it's usual self.............URG[:@]! When did it happen don't know shot a mulie doe the first morning of season(couple weeks earlier) and hit her right where I was aiming. Hunting gods have funny ways to humble us!

Don't let iteat you to much, learn from the mistake but move past it and get after him again. Good Luck