Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Big Mouth (Large Mouth) Bass Issue >

Big Mouth (Large Mouth) Bass Issue

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Big Mouth (Large Mouth) Bass Issue

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Mouth (Large Mouth) Bass Issue

I know the world calls them Large Mouth, but we grew up calling them Big Mouth bass

Background:

At the begginning of spawn, I found and old Ox-Bow lake that appears to have been the remnants of the old San Jacinto river, and it appears to have been there for a VERY long time. It's about 5 feet deep at its deepest part, 125 feet wide at its widest part, and is about a quarter mile in lenght (if straight) and forms a giant horse shoe, thus the term Ox Bow. Anyways, I decided to wet a hook in it one day just to see if there was anything in it and within 45 minutes I caught 6 (LM) bass, one of the bass about 14 inches long, and a crappie the size of a dinner plate, all within a 50 yards stretch that may have covered a tenth of the lake. I didnt know if there were any fish in the lake so I didnt bring a stringer or anything, and just let the fish go. All of the fish were very skinny, like the lake was over stocked. The water is clear, but the undergrowth of vegetation is crazy. Of the 5 foot depth, 4 feet of it is covered with algea, weed, and hydrilla. You couldnt see the bottom if you wanted to, it's that dense with undergrowth. The lures I used were a Rebel Minnow and a Rapala F-7 floater, both top water baits that I fished like a wounded minnow with twitches and darts. The water would explode with hits.

Current Issue:
Now that spawn is over, I have seen a noticeable drop in the number of "Hits" that I have gotten, which is understandable because spawn is over. However, I cant seem to find a lure that works consistantly now. I have tried Spinner Baits, Crank baits, Jigs, Jig Heads, Jigs with trailers(Chigger Craws), Spoons, Worms, EVERYTHING, and I cant seem to get consistant hits with them. The only thing I can consistantly catch fish with is the live minnows I buy for my boy to use. The crankbaits dive straight into the hydrilla and come out a tangled mess, the Jigs of all types fall straight into the hydrilla and weeds and come out covered in garbage, the spinner baits work good staying in the top foot of water but they have produced absolutely nothing. The wounded minnow lures still produce every now and then, I'm just a little confounded as to what approach I could be using that might produce better results. Does anybody have any ideas as to what I could possiblky try out, or what has worked for them? Trying to figure out what lure and presentation to use on a lake that is so cluttered with undergrowth can be a little intimidating, especially considering they arent feeding so aggresively right now.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big Mouth (Large Mouth) Bass Issue

I'd go top water in the morning and light worm fishing after 8:30-9:00 AM. meaning 10 pound test..medium 6 1/2 or 7 ' rod..I just bought 2 tonight for this reason..

I've gotten the most consistant hits on Culpret Fire and Ice.
Now..we are also in a tournament right now so I can't share all my secrets..I also fish my rubber worm Texas rig with a small ROUND split shot instead of a bullet sinker..when the bitre is off I go light ..You could also go trick worm in those weeds ..no weight..works as a weedless jerk bait..

Last Sunday the fish shut down for me..I switched to a 10pound mono spinning set up ..Anchored on a weedy island..cast deep and worked back up the island fishing a clock 360 degrees.About every 5th cast was a fish..small but a fish..When the bite is off I fish a worm slow.

For me..in this hot Florida heat..I get to the lake 15 minutes before daylight and I rely on the topwater for my big fish..
The 3 days prior to the new moon is my favorite time to fish.This sunday is the new moon. Time to get ur done.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've recently thought about trying togo with the trick worm setup with the hook in the middle and I think I will give it a try since you reccomend it as well. I bass fish within nothing more than 12 pound test and I think my spin caster is at 8 lbs right now so I should be good to go. Do you jerk the lure, slash it, or just kinda jiggle it in the water with an ultra slow retrieve? What size hook do you use when you go with a trick work setup? I assume a smaller hook because of its additional exposure with the worm attached that way?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

man sounds like a bountiful algea bloom[:@], like C7 mentioned, try fishing above it...

BTW, is there any flow in and out of this body of water???? at any time of the year???? flooding or anything????
Old 05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

no water in, no water out, just rain. I'm sticking above the algea good, just not finding anything that works with consistancy above the algea. Gonna try the wacky/trick worm setup later this week and see how it works out for me. Might try a little fly fishing on it as well to try out some ultra-lite tackle, but I would have to go by a fly rod and reel combo. Guess I better start looling
Old 05-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Dominant Buck

one hint...find a top water that is 100% weedless..it's out there..
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would assume you are referring to a frog. If so, which type have you had success with? Please feel free to PM if you want, or if you arent comfortable giving away your fishing knowledge I understand. Thanx for all the help thus far
Old 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

PM sent..