Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Memory

Old 11-14-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Deer Memory

Anyone have any thoughts on how well deer remember encounters? It has been my experience that Does will come back to an area after being spooked, but Bucks are more wary. The reason I am asking is that I spooked a little Doe after dark the other day. She was coming to my stand like clockwork at 5:00 p.m. every afternoon. I'm hoping she will continue to feed by my stand. From my experiences in the past, Does will eventually show back up, but not Bucks. Any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Deer Memory

Kgkoon,

Ya, deer do have a pretty good memory. On the other hand they are animals of patterns and habbits. If you are hunting by a food, water or bedding area and you manage to spook the deer, they will take out of there quickly, but will be back being that it is there habitat.

If you continue to disturb them well that another issue that can cause deer to change their patters.

Bucks on the other hand are a little different in nature than doe. Most buck will keep to their selves and are naturally more cautious.

This has been my experience, good luck hunting and keep the wind in your face.

Jred.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-14-2002, 02:06 PM

I failed to mentioned that those buck will need some encouragement at times to come out into view, so us some attractents, ruts and rattlers.

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:23 PM

As much as hate sharing these experiences I must say that as an avid bowhunter there has been time I slipped up on big bucks and spooked them. They don't show up again. The next time you have a chance at seeing them again is when a pretty doe pulls them out of their nocturnal patterns. I don't even call anymore for fear the bucks circle me where I can't see them and catch a wiff of me. That to will throw them into nocturnal patterns also. If you are cetain that you are scent free then go ahead. These are my thoughts on BIG BUCKS. and their memories.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

Bucks are animals and are only effected by two things SEX and FOOD. Other habit changes are minor and will soon dissappear in the quest for food and sex. I hunt a funnel so the bucks have to use it. Changes are not as pronounced at funnels if they were spooked. This summer I had a small heard of Bucks a 10 point, got him two weeks ago
2 8 poiunts and a few smaller deer in my orchard every day. Before acorn drop this is there only major food source. I ran them off every afternoon, even hit them with rocks and apples. They came back every day until the Acorns dropped and they had a more secluded food source. FOLLOW THE DOES AND THE FOOD and all else is EXTRA!!! My silly opinion Striper Phil
Old 11-17-2002, 09:57 AM

Deer are individuals and their memories will vary. Sometimes the old does are harder to hunt than the old bucks. I heard of one nice 12 pt last year that was wounded and yet the hunter saw him one month later at the same stand.