Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how good are deer memory? >

how good are deer memory?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how good are deer memory?

Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how good are deer memory?

last year i spooked a doe, the next day i heard a deer come long before it could see me or i see it, so i made sure not to move, from 80 yards away it looked right up at me in the tree stand, and stared at me for 15 minz before finally walking back the way it came from... there was no wind, and i was sure it dident move... did this doe remeber me?
Old 09-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how good are deer memory?

Yes.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes they have good memory for about three days and when you go there regularly they pattern you i got seen the other day and i hadnt sat there in a week the deer was still spooked i will give it another week i guess
Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 PM

Yup. They will remember for a few days. If you spook them good, they will remember for quite some time and if you frequent the same area day after day, that deer will know! Also, if you ever shoot at a buck during gun season and miss, he'll be gone for the rest of the season!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

sometimes, i dont know how i ever even get a shot at these freaks of nature [8D]
Old 09-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer have good memories when it comes to being spooked but you can fix it by simply moving your stand 5-10 yards. Sometimes, you can use it to your advantage. A mature old doe will undoubtedly check very thouroughly for you (where you were) the next time she comes through. If you've moved, she may pay less attention to the rest of the area.
While she stares down your old stand, slip an arrow between her ribs and eliminate the snitch.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Here's an example I have of a deer's memory. Had a huge buck come into rattling during September youth season when I was 12 and I got buck fever bad and missed. Later that year during bow my dad saw the same buc at 80 yards or so and tried to call him in with a grunt didn't work and he was getting out farther so he touched the horns together and the deer took off like a rocket, and this was in November. Over a month memory of that event I guess. That's why big bucks get big though
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yea, it remembered you.

I know I'm talking apples and oranges here. But over six years ago I took my dog for a walk and he spotted a racoon in a tree. To this day when we walk past that tree, he still looks to see if anything is up it.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think the memory depends on the age.... just this weekend on friday night i saw a forkey at about 60 yards..it watched me for a little bit and knew i was there...next day it was there at the same spot again at around the same time....last year my brother shot at a forkey and missed him ... deer took off running down the hill ... next day at night the deer was shot by my uncle only 100 yards from where he was shot at the day before....
Old 09-18-2006, 04:00 PM

I agree that it has somthing to do with age. A young deer is still learning the ropes while as you would know the older ones are wiser. And yes I agree that they have good memories. I dont have any specific example but I have heard and read of that happening many times.

Quick Reply: how good are deer memory?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.