Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scents

Old 11-13-2002, 03:21 PM

Default Scents

Let's hear about your elimination/cover scent recipes. I'm interested in what you use for washing clothes, washing yourself, covering your scent. I especially want to hear what you use that isn't name brand hunting store bought stuff. For example I've heard of people boiling pine needles and using the water for cover scent.

Additional question. Anyone ever used Febreze for scent elimination?

Blake
Old 11-13-2002, 03:33 PM

Default RE: Scents

I have use a vast amount of methods, some not worth a hill of beans and others like a charm.

Hunting cloths: Sealed in a bag or storeage box filled with the eliments in which I will be hunting:

Cover sents and attractents: Vanilla extrat (attractent) and Vinilla extract cut with water and rubbing alocohal ( cover sents) Boiling matter located around my hunting area: Pine leaves, acorn, Honey suckle, pine bark and pine sap; good for thickining up the brew. after all that boiling and getting the right consistancy I then let it cool and place the fluid part it into a spray bottle, works great.

There is some of my secrests, hope this helps out!

Good Luck and happy hunting.

(edit) I have never used fabreez as a sent eliminator, wonder if it would be worth a try?

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!

Edited by - JRED on 11/13/2002 16:35:42
Old 11-13-2002, 03:45 PM

I swear by a scentlok breath shield. I dont wear the rest, but the breath shield i feel really works. on saturday, i had a deer run up to my stand as soon as i got into it. i didnt have my breath shield on. it got downwind of me, smelled me and headed for canada. an hour later, same conditions, 2 deer downwind of me, but i had the breath shield on and they milled around for half an hour and didnt smell me. i have been using for 3 years and when it is on i rarely am smelled. i also wash clothes in no scent and put in bag with leaves.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

A little fox pee at the base of my stand. May be a little on a drag rag. Scent free soap bought at Food Lion. As far as anything other scents none nada nope nothing.
FirstBow

Old 11-17-2002, 10:21 AM

Try a good brand of raccoon urine. Use it on your stand and on your rubber boots before walking to and from your stand. If you are doing all the other things with unscented soap and laundry detergent, then wind direction should no longer be a factor in your hunting.