Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Memory

Old 09-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Deer Memory

On Deer and Deer Hunting they talk about deer memory. Do you think deer retain and use memory from past situations to avoid certain situations? Have you had opportunities in the past that backs up that deer may have memory or do you believe that is just a 6th sense, and they think something just isn't right because they know thier woods?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Deer Memory

although I have not encountered it I hear stories of guys getting busted and the deer continue to look up when approaching that tree.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: lpv77

although I have not encountered it I hear stories of guys getting busted and the deer continue to look up when approaching that tree.
The guy on the show talked about a doe that busted him in a certain tree one evening and from then on she would circle around that tree, so they put a dumbie in that stand and hang another stand where she circled to and they ended up getting her.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Just like scent-lok.....I wanna see proof.

I give them LESS credit than most....and I don't mean to diminish anyone's accomplishments in doing so. I think they're small brained animals that have an uncanny knack (trait) for avoiding predators and humans (which could be one in the same).

Do I think they're the mythical, legendary beasts some people put them up to be? Nope. I think they learn to avoid areas due to past experiences....but for how long? I have no idea of their "memory" capacity....and neither does anyone else. It's PURE conjecture.

They're a worthy adversary.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have killed deer in one of our crop fields one evening, returned the next and seen more come out...Of course this doesn't prove it's the same deer...So...
This past Wednesday evening, I had a doe at 15 yards, shot over her...Last night (Saturday) I was in the same tree, her she comes, fed in front of me at 15 yards, looked at her through my binos...She had a fresh crease across her back...I let her walk, figured I'd watch and see how she does, now that she got my mark on her...
Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a 10 point out of a treestand me and my Dad hunt, and I hit it high, and it survived. 1 week later my Dad went to the same stand. Same deer came by He seen the spot where I had hit it. He shot, and hit a branch it deflected the arrow into the bottom of the deer's neck, still survived. Well a month later in gun season my Dad went to that stand on the 3rd day. The same deer came chasing does by that stand, and finally He got it. So it got shot twice out of this tree and still continued to come back. Either it was dumb, or didn't have very good memory.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 PM

I think that deer can retain some things. Like when you are busted by a big buck he may avoid that area for a while til the human odor has gone down to a more acceptable level. I've seen on several tv shows where big bucks bust a hunter and days later he comes back to that spot, but may be a little weiry.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

ive seen them remeber certain areas or trees after encounters but seem to be if you stay away for around a week then they let up alittle. last night i missed and then shot the same deer but i had other deer helping me . she didnt know what happend and she never came in fully but gave me a second shot and i got her.