Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to find wounded deer

Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to find wounded deer

I like to use surveyers flags and track alone or one other person (usally my brother) put the flags at the blood and you can see a pattern some times a direction of travel. But please if this is a reoccuring problem some thing is wrong with your shot placement or choice of calibur practice or check with experienced hunter to correct this. Everybody that hunts for very long will have a bad hit and have to trail a animal or two.Its just suspicious if its every time, Good luck !!!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

I have used the peroxide but only in or after the rain. It save the day once for me. I also use light sticks for night tracking. You can use those glow neckleces that you can get at a dollar store too. You hang them in the tree and it really allows you see a good path at night.

Sorry about the comment before but the guy wanted help and wasn't getting any. Yes he was a little vague but we need to do the best we can to help people who want it. At least there is a concern about losing deer.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:20 AM
bigcountry

No, its ok. Your right.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 PM

awww I just got my
Old 10-18-2006, 09:55 AM

I agree that if you can't make a good shot, don'tsqueeze the trigger....if it were up to me it wouldn't be permitted to hunt whitetail with dogs either... why would you want to shoot at a moving whitetail and increase your chances of wounding an animal and not finding it? -now please, I don't need to be slammed by that last comment..... to each their own!

We've used a few different methods.

The best method I find is this...

1- Have onehunter stand where a blood trail was last seen.
2- Have another hunter walk around the first in a large circle.
If any blood is found this way, it will give you the direction the deer is heading based on the last blood point.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you find it!

NOTE-> I find that the deer always seem to circle back.. seems like they make a loop from where you shot around and back out near where you shot....

If the deer didn't fall immediately after the shot, it's VERY important to wait. He likely wont go much further than 200 yards if left alone. By waiting I mean minimum an hour! I've read a few good sites that suggest to wait even longer then that. Stay at your stand, be quiet and patient. As soon as you leave your stand, place something bright like your orange hunting toque where the deer was standing when you took the shot. Leave it there until you recover the animal.

I hope some of this is helpul!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 PM

ORIGINAL: philippi957

I always faced with the trouble of trying to find a wounded deer but never find it. Can anyone offer any ideas on how to fix this problem.
Well first off lets clarify somethings, are you hunting bow or gun or both?

while everybody loses deer from time to time, your post gives us the impression you lose alot of deer. this would lead us to one of the following conclusions:

A) You gun hunt and arent getting a good shot placement.
B) You gun hunt and you really need better bullets.
C) You bow hunt and you are simply not looking very hard.
D) You bow hunt and you really need better arrows

If you are gun hunting, remember a second or two to improve shot placement can save you hours trying to find the sucker.

If you are bow hunting your just simply going to have to keep your eye on the deer.

Wounded deer almost always try to circle you, generally if you shoot at 12 oclock they will circle counterclockwise towards 9 or clockwise toards 3, look for that too happen.

if youve lost him completely try to track the blood. if you have a blood trail remember, if you dont see blood, dont step forward til you see more blood.

if you are looking for deer dont look for a whole deer, look for deer legs,ears, tails etc. this way.

Its also important to note if you have wounded a deer and he runs off, sometimes its best to give him 10 minutes or so to expire, otherwise you may just push him further away as you are looking for him.

hope this helps.