Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Coyotes effect deer hunting?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 AM

Default Coyotes effect deer hunting?

I have about 5 coyotes living on the land that I hunt which is about 68 acres. I really was worried about it because my buddy who's parents own the land says he hears them all the time at night killing animals and I hadn't seen one deer up until Saturday morning. As I was gettingto mystand at about 7:15 (later than usual) I saw two coyotes heading my way, but as soon as they saw my they took off. I didn't think I would see any deer, but I ended up seeing seven.

Sorry for the long set up, but my questions are, can coyotes and deer livein the same surrounding area and will coyotes bother deer? I know if a newly born fawn is around the coyotes would go after it, but surley not an adult deer. Should I let the coyotes be and enjoy watching them or should I get control of them before the deer start moving off the land?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coyotes effect deer hunting?

If the coyotes are hungry enough they will go after just about anything! I have a couple of packs with about 6 - 8 in each! They start howling and I never see any deer! Last week they started up and I made a Fawn in Distress call and 4 came running in with in 2 minutes looking for the fawn! I shot at one and my arrow was a little high!
I will be up at the Cabin for 3 weeks Bowhunting and thinning out the Yotes!!!!! Good luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes are bad for deer. You might not notice it at first but they take a toll on the fawns and in a few years you'll notice. I have a place that yotes moved in on, now the deer are super skittish and I never see any fawns or young deer.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Kill them on sight , they'll ruin the deer hunting .
Old 10-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

In many areas of the country the deer have no option, there are coyotes everywhere. I'm not sure how many adult deer coyotes kill, but we have learned that if you shoot a deer in the afternoon you need to go ahead and go after the deer or the coyotes will leave you a pile of bones and that's all.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 AM

I plan on shooting any coyotes I see while hunting especially with bow since it's a more stelth. I know where the den of the coyotes is at, but not sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Cleetus,

With that many coyotes, I think I'd carry a rifle for the sole purpose of thinning those guys out. There is one on the land that I hunt, but the landowner doesn't want me to shoot him because he keeps the rabbit population down (and cleans up my field dressings). But he has said if there is more than one, shoot all but one. I have seen one several times while out hunting.
Here in Iowa we have continuous open season on coyote, but in Indiana you are restricted to 10/15-3/15.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:31 AM

Plus we can't carry firearms while bow hunting, so it's either hope the coyotes get close enough for a bow shot or stop bow hunting for deer and hunt the coyotes while I am seeing them. I have been out three times so far this bow season and have seen coyotes 2 of the three times.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:36 AM

I would get my buddies together one weekend and have a dedicated yote hunt.

Thin them out before your deer population gets worse.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:41 AM

I have a few buddie that don't hunt deer, but would help me hunt the coyotes. I am just concerned that with me seeing deer right now, will that hurt my hunting if we all went out with guns and started shooting in the woods that see NO humanpresenceexcept me during hunting season.

Quick Reply: Coyotes effect deer hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.