Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how to find wounded deer

Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 PM

Default how to find wounded deer

I always faced with the trouble of trying to find a wounded deer but never find it. Can anyone offer any ideas on how to fix this problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how to find wounded deer

Find it!

It is only ethical to take shots at distances, and in situations that you whole-heartedly believe you can successfully make. I believe that each and every shot made should be final, wait or let it walk if need be.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would first work on the problem of having bad hits on the deer. You need to become familiar with the location of the deer's vitals from all angles and do a lot more practice with the weapon of choice. As to the locating of a wounded deer if you have a hard to follow blood trail you can take pieces of tissue paper and mark the droplets as you go and sometimes you can look back and get a line on the general direction the deer is going.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Find it!

It is only ethical to take shots at distances, and in situations that you whole-heartedly believe you can successfully make. I believe that each and every shot made should be final, wait or let it walk if need be.

Right now, I can see uncle matt sticking his chest out while looking down at you saying this feeling real good about himself from the keyboard.

Anyway, If you havn't lost a deer ever, you havn't hunted much.I dont' know why webpages brings this arrogance out in hunters.Alot of things can work against you in the woods, maybe a twig you didn't see, maybe the deerjumped the arrow, maybe you are way too excited on the shot. Only time and experience can help you with excitement.

But, I will tell you this. Most of deer recovery is pure confidence and determination. Before tracking, really go over it in your head. Where was the hit? did you see the arrow sticking out? Did you recover the arrow? What did the blood look like on the arrow? dark red? light red? etc. If you think you gut shot it, not all is lost. Just retreat out of the arear (or stay in your tree), opposite the deer went, come back 8 hours later. No kidding, 8 hours later. If the blood has air bubbles in it, or your confident you hit the lungs/heart, come back hour later.

Also if you have trouble tracking deer, stay away from wet days or rainy days. They can be troublesome. Pick days where the leaves are pretty dry. Also stay away from hunting grounds with high reeds.

All you need now is confidense. Lastly, don't get too many buddies out there. One is all you need, two maybe if the guy is a good tracker. Everyone likes to think of themselves as a good tracker, but most are not. I am not. But I have confidense thru some bad experiences.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

don't feel bad it happens to everyone at some point or another. This past wednesday I stuck one of the nicest bucks of my life, I had blood everywhere and then I couldn't find him before dark. I looked the next day but had no success, I haven't seen any buzzards so I hope he is still alive. I was sure he wasn't going anywhere I put a great shot on him, but it happens, thats just part of hunting. I wouldn't take that shot back for anything, I would have kicked myself harder if I hadn't shot
Old 10-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: philippi957 I always faced with the trouble of trying to find a wounded deer but never find it. Can anyone offer any ideas on how to fix this problem.
Ah mud flinging frommetro, uh I mean bigcountry at old uncle matt. Funny stuff there.I know phil didn't post in crayon, but it still reads the same. "I always faced with the trouble of trying to find a wounded deer but never find it. Can anyone offer any ideas how to fix this problem."

Couple of words stand out there in hispost. A-L-W-A-Y-S &
N-E-V-E-R. Those words deal with absolutes.

I beleive that my advise will help him avoid this problem he has ALWAYS been experiencing and hopefully make it a problem only occasionally but ideally never a problem again. The best way to deal with a problem is don't let it be a problem in the first place, right?

If teaching better blood trailing of poorly hit animals is your idea of hunting or fixing the problem phil descibed - what ever floats your boat.

I hope no one took my comments as arrogant and I don't think it was. That is what I teach - if you don't think you can place the shot and quickly take the animal, wait or let it walk.

I cringe at the thought of someone beleiving that because they are a good blood tracker (or have someone available that is) that that is justification for taking poor/unethicalshots or flinging lead or arrows. I will never condone or teach such a thing.

And no my chest doesn't stick out any more these days without great effort. The muscles to do that have moved south.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
bigcountry

You never have to worry about me hiding my identiy or location or anything. So as far as metro, that was your guys little childish tif.

Come on matt, your advise helps noone but your ego. You know it, and i know it. I say either give someone some useful advise or dont' waste time. Like you post, if you can't give advise, just pass up on the shot to shoot up your ego, and wait until theirs a post.your able to give good advise.

Nobody wants to take a bad shot we all desire those awesom heart shots where's there's a perfect X in the heart. Sooner or later theirs always going to be bad shots.All is not lost from a bad shot. In fact, rarely is all lost if you can controlyour anticipation, think what your doing. Tell the guy shoot better or wait, is a known, and a waste.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

I didn't read any other post so i am sorry if I sound like a echo.

There is a wonderful book by John Trout Jr i believe. It is called trailing wounded whitetales. I actully just bought it this weekend because someone else on the sight suggested it. So far it is a very informative book. I have yet to lose a deer (knock on wood) but I am sure I will be posed with this problem someday. The book cost 15 bucks and I believe it is well worth it. With that being said time is very key in finding a deer. It ranks right after shot placement in my opinion. There is a forum in the bowhunting section and that would also be well worth a read for your question.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:36 PM

i have never had a problem finding my deer but have had prob with helping others.big thing is make sure you have a good clean shot and make it count..a lot of guys make a shot a little to far back and they find their arrow and its all bloody and they think it was a kill shot.not the case.....shot placement is critical.next let it go for a while before tracking it...a lot of guys get excited and i know i do but ya have to wait...if not good chance you will kick that deer up and then ya just have to keep looking....mainly make a good shot and watch very closely where the deer goes and listen to see if ya can hear him crash....
Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You never have to worry about me hiding my identiy or location or anything. So as far as metro, that was your guys little childish tif.

Come on matt, your advise helps noone but your ego. You know it, and i know it. I say either give someone some useful advise or dont' waste time. Like you post, if you can't give advise, just pass up on the shot to shoot up your ego, and wait until theirs a post.your able to give good advise.

Nobody wants to take a bad shot we all desire those awesom heart shots where's there's a perfect X in the heart. Sooner or later theirs always going to be bad shots.All is not lost from a bad shot. In fact, rarely is all lost if you can controlyour anticipation, think what your doing. Tell the guy shoot better or wait, is a known, and a waste.
If you decide you have no control and just have to let somethingfly there will certainly be bad shots eventually.

But metro, it is obvious the way you hunt and the way I hunt are two different things.

Quick Reply: how to find wounded deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.