Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 good size for a perment ground blind? >

good size for a perment ground blind?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good size for a perment ground blind?

Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 AM

Default good size for a perment ground blind?

ok heres the thing i want to build a blind i was going to make a 6x8 blind but i went to a buddies house that had one and it seems just too big, and kinda a PITA to build and a bit too much money, now for cost and i think ease of the build im just going to do a 4x4 6ft hight blind.
is that a ok size? i don't know of where one is to test it out so im just going to make it just wondering if its big enough, im only 6ft 200 lbs so im not huge myself

also i will be hunting alone but once this year i think my GF would want to sit with me for a few hrs, would it me big enough for that? she wouldn't be hunting just sitting.

thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 02:56 PM

Default RE: good size for a perment ground blind?

I have made several ground blinds by just taking heavy page wire or a type of cement wire that stands about 5 feet or so and weaving slough grass into it. Takes a few hours to make, is heavy and akward as hell but works great. When I am not sure how big to make my blind i either draw my bow or raise my rifle and measure the radius all the way around. You want to be able to move in all directions in a shooting position and not touch the blind. good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:00 PM

Ground blind or elevated? What type of weapon, gun or bow? I will assume ground blind with a rifle.
I would suggest that you allow for plenty of room to move and manuever without making noise or getting caught up. I would think that you could put a bucket in the middle of your garage floor and figure out what are comfortable dimensions, height, width and depth while seated in a firing position.
Once you have you dimensions then it is just a matter of picking the materials that you want to use to make the blind. You could make one entirely out of ply wood and paint it (heavy, awkward and permanent) or you could make it predominently out of camouflage burlap or some other fabric with poles.
Get creative and good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fordraceing_man

ok heres the thing i want to build a blind i was going to make a 6x8 blind but i went to a buddies house that had one and it seems just too big, and kinda a PITA to build and a bit too much money, now for cost and i think ease of the build im just going to do a 4x4 6ft hight blind.
is that a ok size? i don't know of where one is to test it out so im just going to make it just wondering if its big enough, im only 6ft 200 lbs so im not huge myself

also i will be hunting alone but once this year i think my GF would want to sit with me for a few hrs, would it me big enough for that? she wouldn't be hunting just sitting.

thanks

For being alone and gun hunting it islarge enough. It is not big enough for bow hunting comfortably or taking two people out gun hunting..
My pop up blind is 60 inches square by just under 6' high. It is only big enough for 1 bow hunter and is comfortable for two gun hunters (or 1 gun and 1 observer)
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM

I have a 4*4 blind and it stinks. It is difficult to get the gun out the windows quitely. There is no way you could have your girlfriend in there with you unless she sits on your lap.......

I also have one that is 6*6. It is perfect. Two people can comfortably sit in itand there is plenty of room to quitely position your gun. There is even enough room to draw a bow. If you do want to bowhunt, you will need to be very precise about window placement and hieght. Mine is tall enough that I can shoot a bow standing. Six foot is probably to low for that.